Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Round "cooking off" in the magazine?

Feedback Score

Round "cooking off" in the magazine?

A few weekends ago I was at the local range and some guys were in the other bay shooting AR's. One of them came up to the line and started firing.

As he squeezed off a round, his magazine floorplate was blown out and the remaining rounds, follower and spring was dumped out. the RO immediately commanded him to stop and they went through the clearing process etc.

It was though that a round cooked off in the magazine; others thought something sharp probably hit the primer, setting off the round.

No injury to anyone and the magazine was re-assembled without any apparent damage.

What do you think happened?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Kabooms will follow the path of least resistance which is down the magwell and out the bottom of the magazine. Sounds like a normal kaboom to me, nothing special.

Also setting off a round outside the chamber is pretty unimpressive, its just a big firecracker.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-31-18 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Sounds more like the weapon fired out of battery.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Cb and Troupe are on point.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It appears to me that he didn't reassemble his magazine properly and firing the weapon launched the floor plate. If a round went off while in the magazine there would be damage, at least to the magazine, possibly the lower as well. Of course a round being ignited without a chamber doesn't generate any real velocity. Or it did fire out of battery? In the two cases over the years of seeing this there was evidence of it happening.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the inputs, guys.

If it fired out of battery, would the bolt carrier still be able to extract and eject the shell casing? Unfortunately, I didn't see if it did.

I saw the magazine; I didn't see any damage to it so it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cctroupe11 View Post
    Sounds more like the weapon fired out of battery.
    How does an AR fire out of battery?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    How does an AR fire out of battery?
    It didn’t.

The AR can not fire out of battery.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    It didn’t.

The AR can not fire out of battery.
    If the bolt is out of spec or the headspace is improperly set, an OOB detonation is completely possible resulting in a case head separation, blowing out the magazine and (sometimes) destroying the upper reciever. I have seen it happen.

Feedback Score
    Something similar happened to me with Canadian milsurp rounds. Round fired in battery. Way over pressure. Blew the bottom of the bolt carrier down through the magazine with all the rounds, spring, follower, floorplate, etc. The top of the bolt carrier had a longitudinal crack so that the key for the gas tube and the bolts just fell out when I finally got the upper apart. The upper receiver bowed out at the ejection port and bent the dust cover and rod.

Needless to say but that pretty much ended the day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast