Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round "cooking off" in the magazine?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    It didn’t.

The AR can not fire out of battery.
    Thanks for squashing that. I hate that myth.

Sounds like a small kaboom... that could easily appear to be a mag cook off to an RO. They don't get that job for being the sharpest tool in the shed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did the shooter and RO find the round fired just before the alleged cook off? Probably just a typical blown case.

As for an OOB firing, isn't it impossible for the firing pin to protrude far enough to reach the primer until the bolt is locked?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cctroupe11 View Post
    If the bolt is out of spec or the headspace is improperly set, an OOB detonation is completely possible resulting in a case head separation, blowing out the magazine and (sometimes) destroying the upper reciever. I have seen it happen.
    The firing pin doesn't protrude enough from the bolt face until the bolt locks into battery to ignite a primer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cctroupe11 View Post
    If the bolt is out of spec or the headspace is improperly set, an OOB detonation is completely possible resulting in a case head separation, blowing out the magazine and (sometimes) destroying the upper reciever. I have seen it happen.
    No. Not with the AR/M16 FoW. Not possible.

What you sawr was a ruptured case head. Happens a lot with worn brass and crappy reloads.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for the con-ed, guys. I’ve heard of OOB’s in this weapon type but never saw one in person. Makes sense that OOB would be highly unlikely in this platform.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    The firing pin doesn't protrude enough from the bolt face until the bolt locks into battery to ignite a primer.
    Also the hammer can’t make contact with the head of the firing pin when it’s out of battery.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My comment was a bait cast.. thanks for making my point without me having to be a dick..

Feedback Score
    serious amount of lead down range in short order to get to cook off territory. I wouldn't think that a cook off from an M-16 type weapon would be all that bad because
    1. It's a closed bolt weapon and
    2. It's not belt fed. (far less chance of run away if you have a malfunction you can't clear) Just take the mag out keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction. For us, we wait 3-5 seconds but only have 10 to clear it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not a cook off in the chamber...but...in the mag. Or set off by a sharp pointy thing in the mag. It's pretty unanimous that it was a blown case.

Feedback Score
    So I was able to track down the fellow who had this incident. He said that the round in the chamber didn't cook off; one of the rounds in the mag went off. He said that shell casing has a gash about 1/8 inch long perpendicular to the extraction groove. He said it was a reloaded round.

It looks like they've reloaded that shell one too many times.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast