Thread: RFI: Duty Belt Pads

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

RFI: Duty Belt Pads

Greetings all,

I'm switching back to a LE position where I have to wear a full duty belt again. I've been used to wearing a much lower profile belt with only a holster, airweight baton, cuff pouch, an AR mag pouch and two pistol mag pouches on it. I've been wearing the rest of my gear on a MOLLE outer carrier. The new position requires a polo shirt and full duty belt.

I've never really loved the weight of a full belt and I've been spoiled the last 10 years. I'm looking into getting a duty belt pad of some sort to help out. After some research this is what I've found that I might be interested in. Please let me know if you have any experience with them or any recommendations.

1. HSGI Micro Grip Belt Panel
    2. HSGI Duty Grip Padded Belt
    3. Wilder Tactical Belt Pad (looks to be the exact same thing as #2)
    4. Emdom/MM Belt Pads
    5. Tyr Gunfighter Belt Pad
    6. US Grunt Gear Pro Grunt Belt/Pad
    7. Snake Eater Tactical War Belt Pad

That's really about all the ones of interest. I've worn a VTAC Brokos and a couple of other larger battle belts, and I'm trying to stay lower profile. My desired specs would be:

1. No more than 2" wide
    2. Have built in loops like HSGI/Wilder
    3. Breathable fabric finish
    4. No more than 1/4" padding

Points of information: I'm not opposed to a whole new belt/kit purchase. I've been wearing either an unlined 1.75" cobra belt or a loop-backed 2" nylon duty belt. Would like to be able to wear belt keepers. None of my desired specs are written in stone, but overall width is highest priority. Pad doesn't have to be hidden.

Loadout: (From 12 o'clock clockwise) TQ, cuff pouch, holster, baton, cuff pouch, (open space 5:00 - 7:00,) flashlight, radio, TASER, mag pouch

Duties: LOTS of walking, bike patrol, Segway (yes, Paul Blart Segway, don't hate - it's fun!) and the patrol car.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Feedback Score
    Are suspenders like those from Tactical Tailor an option with your agency? Those saved my back until we went to outer carriers (Safariland Bothell).

I would add the Volund Gearworks Atlas Duty Belt to your list as well, combined with the TT suspenders. Now that I'm off of probation there is an Atlas in my near future. I'm not sure any of the options you have listed will work with belt keepers due to their bulk.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Check out the T Rex Orion belt. Lo profile and has just a bit of padding with the non slip liner. It’s has a couple belt keeps built in. You can always rig keeps with Velcro one wrap for any system you decide to go with

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks Quackhead. I had looked at that a while back but I’ll look back at it again. I forgot about that one. Velcro one wrap is the shizz. I also found that on wider belts, I’ve taken some nylon keepers that had the key clip sewn in and removed it, making a longer keeper.

Feedback Score
    thanks for all the good info

Feedback Score
    I am a big believer in an inner+outer belt setup.

Look at the AWS LAB, Ronin belts, and the Blue Alpha Gear double belt.

One of the big questions you will need to answer for yourself is if you want to use MOLLE attachments for your duty gear (which limits your pouch choices), or traditional belt loop mounting.

Either way, inner velcro with outer belt is the way to go. Those "grippy" belts are saggy, move around when you're sprinting or going over obstacles, etc. I personally don't like them at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used a back defender suspender system since I cannot have one that is exposed. I have had great luck with it and been using it for 4 years. I have to use leather gear but I would stick with something a little lighter. Safariland has some good stuff that's a little lighter.