Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krebs AK

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde777 View Post
    Okay sweet, I thought it might have to do with it having a shorter barrel 14.5 and having feeding issues cause of the pressures.
    In my experience cutting 2" off the barrel doesn't even begin to cause and AK to be undergassed. I'm sure Krebs has gas port dimensions down to a science.

Feedback Score
    I’d check out a Galil Ace too.

Feedback Score
    Okay sweet, I thought it might have to do with it having a shorter barrel 14.5 and having feeding issues cause of the pressures.
    Some AK's won't run with HP ammo simply because the bullet tip gets stuck going up the feed ramp. It has nothing to do with barrel length. As mentioned, AK's are notoriously overgassed. An advantage of doing a custom build with a new barrel is that you can get the builder to drill the proper gas port hole size in the barrel. Speaking of overgassed, here's a video of my new Arsenal SLR-106CR. It's so massively overgassed that the cycling broke the disconnector at round 115.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2QDsr5hzzk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Some AK's won't run with HP ammo simply because the bullet tip gets stuck going up the feed ramp. It has nothing to do with barrel length. As mentioned, AK's are notoriously overgassed. An advantage of doing a custom build with a new barrel is that you can get the builder to drill the proper gas port hole size in the barrel. Speaking of overgassed, here's a video of my new Arsenal SLR-106CR. It's so massively overgassed that the cycling broke the disconnector at round 115.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2QDsr5hzzk
    In all fairness the gas ports on those are sized for them to be cut down and turned into SBR's. They're not meant to be run full length.

Feedback Score
    I like the high priced Krebs AKs because they are making it a market with alternatives.

SIG 556-R with folding stock in 7.62x 39 that uses AK-47 Mags for around $1100.00

RRA also has a rifle LAR-47 that uses AK-47 mags now

I have a WASR that I paid for $269.00 back in the day and I have about another $150 in it with upgrades.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    RRA also has a rifle LAR-47 that uses AK-47 mags now
    If you're getting AR15ish, I just built a 7.62x39 AR15 for $375. It runs like a champ using D&H 7.62x39 mags and RZE Unimags. It's hard to believe that you can build or buy a 7.62x39 AR15 for less than an AK, but that's how much the market has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    In all fairness the gas ports on those are sized for them to be cut down and turned into SBR's. They're not meant to be run full length.
    I think you're giving them far too much credit for thought. I doubt that they intentionally seriously overgassed my 106CR. The rifle is so overgassed that it will literally beat itself apart in short order if used as is. They have to know that most buyers will not SBR these rifles. Heck, they even sell fake suppressors to cover the barrel that sticks past the FS/GB. No way that's intentional. For over $1000, such problems should not exist. I have filed the paperwork to SBR my 106CR. There's no doubt that cutting the barrel will reduce the gas pressure. We'll see if it's overgassed then. Hopefully not. BTW, when I called them about the broken disconnector and overgassing I actually spoke with someone who understood about overgassing. He said to send the rifle back and they would repair it so that it would not be overgassed. I reiterated the conversation in a letter that I sent back with the rifle. When I received the rifle back, they had simply replaced the disconnector. They had done absolutely nothing to fix the overgassing. When I called back to speak with someone about why the overgassing has not been addressed, the receptionist told me that their gunsmith told her the rifle couldn't be fixed because something's wrong with the magazine well. She offered to replace it with a 107CR or a 106C. I reiterated to her that the rifle was simply way overgassed and there were no feeding issues or anything that would indicate there's something wrong with the magazine well. She said that's what the gunsmith told her to which I replied that he's confused my rifle with another or he doesn't know what he's doing. I told her that I'd get back with them if I decided to exchange the rifle, but just decided to SBR it and fix the overgassing myself if necessary.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I think you're giving them far too much credit for thought. I doubt that they intentionally seriously overgassed my 106CR. The rifle is so overgassed that it will literally beat itself apart in short order if used as is. They have to know that most buyers will not SBR these rifles. Heck, they even sell fake suppressors to cover the barrel that sticks past the FS/GB. No way that's intentional. For over $1000, such problems should not exist. I have filed the paperwork to SBR my 106CR. There's no doubt that cutting the barrel will reduce the gas pressure. We'll see if it's overgassed then. Hopefully not.
    Well that's precisely what they did. Why would someone buy one of the CR models if their intention is not to SBR it? None of the other Arsenals are overgassed that bad, that's what we call a clue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Why would someone buy one of the CR models if their intention is not to SBR it?
    I wouldn't but most people either...
    1) Live in a state where it's not legal to SBR the rifle, but they still want that particular configuration
    2) Would like an SBR, but don't want to go through the process, pay $200 and be on a government list.
    3) Would like an SBR, but don't understand the process and are not willing to invest the time to figure it out.

Note that Arsenal doesn't sell an overgassed version of the 106CR for SBR'ing and another less gassed version for leaving with the 16" barrel. Nothing in the documentation says that the rifle is grossly overgassed and if you shoot it as is it will beat itself apart in short order. In fact, nothing in the documentation mentions SBR'ing the rifle at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcWLPUYmhY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtpt88yPiM

Feedback Score
    At least one vote for Rifle Dynamics here. I've two of their rifles, and while not cheap, they just flat out run no matter what. No hunting around for this model or that edition, they go out of the box. A bit pricey, they are worth it to me.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I am thinking about getting either a Krebs ak or rifle dynamics for a fighting ak and classes. Is one better than the other for serious use? I know krebs uses childers receiver and polish and us parts not sure about rd. I am new to custom aks.
    If you've got the bank, these look pretty interesting. https://www.getzone.com/krebs-custom-pd18-ak-pistol/
    "Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you boast of in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?"
    T.S. Eliot, Choruses from the Rock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast