Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel ammo price

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

6.5 Grendel ammo price

On AmmoSeek the least expensive brass-case 6.5 Grendel from a reputable seller is $1.93 per cartridge, Hornady Black. Compare 6.8 SPC with Prvi Partizan at $0.824 per, or Hornady Black at $1.20. 6mm ARC is $1.45, .224 Valk is $0.80, .300 HAM'R is $1.24, 6.5 Creedmoor is $1.28. Why does Grendel cost the most? I haven't shot mine in a long time. Is it time to re-barrel in something else?
    Last edited by Disciple; 10-10-22 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    That's interesting. I have a Mini HOWA action in 6.5G that I was going to convert eventually to 6ARC, but was holding off, maybe I should go ahead.

6.5G and 6ARC are the same brass 'parent', right? So that shouldn't be the driver. 6.5Creed should use even heavier bullets, so that isn't the driver? What is so specific about the 6.5G then- is it that those 'light' 6.5 bullets are in low supply??
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    140 grain Hornady BTHP match bullets are a little less expensive than 123 grain BTHP match bullets, so it's likely just a supply/demand issue.

I bought some Hornady Black ammo when I completed my build, but haven't bought any factory ammo since. Handloading is the answer, though you should have started years ago, to have a stockpile to components to use during times like this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    140 grain Hornady BTHP match bullets are a little less expensive than 123 grain BTHP match bullets, so it's likely just a supply/demand issue.

I bought some Hornady Black ammo when I completed my build, but haven't bought any factory ammo since. Handloading is the answer, though you should have started years ago, to have a stockpile to components to use during times like this.
    I did the exact same just to get the brass.

Reload.

Feedback Score
    Hydro-forming dies to convert 7.62x39 brass are cool.

Still getting screwed by the Creedmoore crowd on projectiles though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300blkjunkie View Post
    Hydro-forming dies to convert 7.62x39 brass are cool.

Still getting screwed by the Creedmoore crowd on projectiles though.
    I'm still shooting some IMI 7.62x39 I fire formed years ago. Lose some each round due to primer pockets, but it was very good brass to start with.

Grendel and 6.8 ran pretty close in Street pricing for a long time.

The interesting thing is most 6.8 factory will set on the shelf unsold for a long time while any Grendel that comes in gets immediately bought.

Uncertain if it's supply or demand related. Probably some of both.

Most Grendel shooters I know reload, and then plink with steelcase

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Stands to reason Hornady would push their own cartridges over the 6.5G.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Even just a few years ago when steel case 6.5G was about 35 to 40 cents a pop, Hornady Black and PPU were the cheapest brass case loads at 90 cent to a buck. I don't know of any other cartridge with that big of a gap in pricing from steel to brass. I still like the caliber and don't plan to abandon it but I'd really like to know how PPU can sell 6.5 Swdish mauser loads for $20/box and 6.5 Grendel is $25 a box. I used to own a Belgian mauser and I think PPU was the only company still making 6.5 swiss.

Feedback Score
    It definitely pisses me off. I have a .224V, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed, etc, and i've been shocked how high the price of Grendel has stayed through all of this. It definitely doesn't make sense.

Feedback Score
    Search on ammoseek again. 6.5Grendel is down to $1.15-$1.25 per cartridge thanks to Hornady getting some competition from Prvi. From a material standpoint, it should cost less than 308Win, so the high price is simply a lack of supply issue. As the ammunition manufacturers get caught up, they'll be more willing to get in the more obscure cartridges in order to keep making money. My bet is that the Prvi offering will be $15 per box of 20 in less than a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast