Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spike's Tactical?

Feedback Score

Spike's Tactical?

A few weeks ago my brother-in-law was looking over my Colt AR15A4 and said that he'd like to have one like it. Talking with him today, he apparently has his sights set on a Spike's Tactical A2 HBAR. I would personally recommend the Colt but I have zero experience with Spike's. Are they a decent range plinker?
    Last edited by Slater; 08-02-18 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    More or less.

They deemed good enough years back, if not a little flashy with their “lifestyle” image and roll marks. They got a bad rap for raising prices during the 2012 panic. I haven’t really kept up with hem since. I don’t really think they do anything better than the usual suggestions around here.

Why is he into the HBAR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    More or less.

They deemed good enough years back, if not a little flashy with their “lifestyle” image and roll marks. They got a bad rap for raising prices during the 2012 panic. I haven’t really kept up with hem since. I don’t really think they do anything better than the usual suggestions around here.

Why is he into the HBAR?
    Didn't ask about his HBAR preference. Other than Bushmaster (which markets them as a competition rifle) I didn't realize that many companies even made HBAR's these days.

Feedback Score
    A lot of people don't like them because of some of their more corny rollmarks and images but their rifles are decent. There was also some drama because of their lawsuit against Ben Thomas (Mookie). Their rifles are on par but no better than what gets suggested here. Certainly better than the Ruger/SW Sports/Deltons of the world.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have several of their upper/lower receiver sets that I used for a couple of my earliest builds. As was previously stated they got a bad rep. during the price gouging thing in 2012. I personally had great customer service experience from their folks when I had questions. They made some nice receiver sets, I never have had any issues with any of my parts for what that's worth. I tend to lean towards BCM/DD these days as I find they are a nice combo of quality and price.
    Last edited by Freelance; 08-02-18 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Everyone wants a Colt / DD / BCM until they see the price tag, then Shrubmaster / Spikes / etc is good enough.

For a range toy that gets finger banged every couple months, it'll be fine either way.

Feedback Score
    Their rollmark does look kind of gaudy/hipster.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think most of their bad rap is due to things other than failires.

I have a couple guns that I built out of spikes parts and they are good to go for me.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I HAD to have a snowflake lower, because it makes ME laugh, and my 12 year old daughter thinks the unicorn is "adorable."

To fix that, I put a DD lpk in it, so it at least works.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
    I have several of their upper/lower receiver sets that I used for a couple of my earliest builds. As was previously stated they got a bad rep. during the price gouging thing in 2012. I personally had great customer service experience from their folks when I had questions. They made some nice receiver sets, I never have had any issues with any of my parts for what that's worth. I tend to lean towards BCM/DD these days as I find they are a nice combo of quality and price.
    Spikes bad rep predates 2012...

They were claiming mil spec, got caught. Then claimed it again on bolts, when they were not doing mil spec testing.

Probably better than some clones like Delton, but sure not worth any premium in my book.

Worse, their fanboys are high drama. And Kings of the "just as good as" thing.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast