Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using one bcg with multiple uppers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Using one bcg with multiple uppers

Is sharing one bcg among multiple (3) uppers for a short while (say 6-12 months) a really bad idea?

I recall reading something about not using an old bcg (or old bolt)
    with a new upper and/or vice versa.

This a short term situation till I save more $$ to get 2 more bcgs.

Tnx!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depends on the round count. If you're blasting a case per week, you'd be shortening the BCG life disproportionately to the uppers. Other than that, if they uppers or known quality, there shouldn't be a headspace issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I thought it takes over 7,000 rounds to see any headspace changes if using quality brand and mil specs
    Bcgs, Uppers and barrels?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I wouldn't do it especially right now when BCG prices are low. I've had good luck with budged BCGs - Palmetto Premium and ToolCraft are around $80 and available right now from multiple vendors.
    Otherwise I would just stick to one upper and use BCG in it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Don't sweat it.

We routinely swap our "reference test" BCG between uppers to evaluate function.

The polar ice caps have not melted and the magnetic poles have not shifted. Yet.
    Last edited by Clint; 07-20-18 at 15:11.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Even if all 3 barrel extensions are within spec they are likely not identical. Same with bolts. I wouldn't do it unless I had no other choice. Maybe IG will chime in. I wonder military armorers working on multiple M4s just throw the parts in a bucket or keep them together for the individual rifles.. He would know.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks everyone!!

I only shoot once a month and no more than 100 rds per session as we are developing loads for long ranges

I forgot I have a spare bcg. Ill be fine using just 2 uppers till I order another bcg
    Last edited by tim808; 07-20-18 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    -You'll be fine.

-If you can afford a bolt - not an entire BCG - it's good to keep a bolt and barrel together.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Don't sweat it.

We routinely swap our "reference test" BCG between uppers to evaluate function.

The polar ice caps have not melted and the magnetic poles have not shifted. Yet.
    Agreed, I have changed BCG amongst uppers without consideration. Never had a problem. Many many many times

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have been jumping a Bootleg adjustable carrier between 3 rifles, all suppressed and one is a 6.8. The bolt , cam pin, firing pin all stay with the same rifle. So far so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast