Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 3d Printer shenanigans

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    3D printing is still in its infancy. As improvements are made it will be fine. Today's 3D printing is like the Atari video games of yesteryear. The only thing I can't see the technology overcoming is in metal hardening or anodizing. That may still have to be done the old-fashioned way.
    Some metallic carbon nano wonder polymer will be developed that once hardened, stronger and lighter than steel. Materials science is also improving so fast, it's hard to keep up with.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I meant twisted in the good sense. Geniuses are often a little weird and twisted.
    Ah, copy. Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    3D printing is still in its infancy. As improvements are made it will be fine. Today's 3D printing is like the Atari video games of yesteryear. The only thing I can't see the technology overcoming is in metal hardening or anodizing. That may still have to be done the old-fashioned way.
    No it's not. FDM 3d printing was first done in 1986 at MiT. The hardware we use today isnt much different than what they first used. The only reason its exploded since 2015 is because a patent wore off. That and in the early 90's doing CAD would have been a significant part of the process that a regular consumer wouldnt have been able to handle. The only reason today that consumers can kind of handle CAD files is because of the cloud and the raw processing power that even a laptop has compared to any kind of desktop pro-sumer device available to anyone in the early 90's when we should have had 3D printers.

When I was talking to FMCDH earlier in the thread I mentioned polymers like PEI, PEEK, and PSU. These are already being used in aerospace to replace Alumiunum and Steel in many applications. Infact you may have seen these plastics in a 747 and not have even realised they where something special. They can readily be found around the cabin, and are used in commercial air for their inherent flame resistance. These materials are already readily printable on a true commerial class 3D printer. A consumer/Pro-sumer grade printer will need a little to a lot of modifications to print these materials but it is possible. NASA even did a little study on it:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=2...atchallpartial
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456