Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA is in deep kimchee if this can be believed

Feedback Score

NRA is in deep kimchee if this can be believed

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...rouble-706371/

The National Rifle Association warns that it is in grave financial jeopardy, according to a recent court filing obtained by Rolling Stone, and that it could soon “be unable to exist… or pursue its advocacy mission.” (Read the NRA’s legal complaint at the bottom of this story.)

The reason, according to the NRA filing, is not its deep entanglement with alleged Russian agents like Maria Butina. Instead, the gun group has been suing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s financial regulators since May, claiming the NRA has been subject to a state-led “blacklisting campaign” that has inflicted “tens of millions of dollars in damages.”
    In the new document — an amended complaint filed in U.S. District Court in late July — the NRA says it cannot access financial services essential to its operations and is facing “irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm.”

Specifically, the NRA warns that it has lost insurance coverage — endangering day-to-day operations. “Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” the complaint reads. Without general liability coverage, it adds, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies.”

The complaint says the NRA’s video streaming service and magazines may soon shut down.

“The NRA’s inability to obtain insurance in connection with media liability raises risks that are especially acute; if insurers remain afraid to transact with the NRA, there is a substantial risk that NRATV will be forced to cease operating.” The group also warns it “could be forced to cease circulation of various print publications and magazines.”
    The lawsuit presents these financial risks as catastrophic. Without access to routine banking services, the NRA claims, “it will be unable to exist as a not-for-profit or pursue its advocacy mission.” The lawsuit accuses New York’s government of seeking to “silence one of America’s oldest constitutional rights advocates,” pleading to the court: “If their abuses are not enjoined, they will soon, substantially, succeed.”

The lawsuit stems from actions taken by New York financial regulators to halt the sale of an illegal, NRA-branded insurance policy. The NRA actively marketed “Carry Guard,” a policy to reimburse members for legal costs incurred after firing a legal gun. In May, the state of New York found that Carry Guard “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for certain acts of intentional wrongdoing.” The NRA’s insurance partners agreed to stop selling the policies and pay a $7 million fine.

The NRA complaint alleges that New York was not content to block this single insurance product, but instead campaigned to sever the NRA’s ties to a wide range of financial service providers, from insurance companies to banks.

The NRA did not respond to a request for more detail about its financial distress, but its most recent financial disclosure also shows it overspent by nearly $46 million in 2016.
    In the filing, the NRA reveals that its longtime insurer broke off negotiations this winter and “stated that it was unwilling to renew coverage at any price.” [Emphasis in original.] The NRA claims it “has encountered serious difficulties obtaining corporate insurance coverage to replace coverage withdrawn.” In addition, the NRA contends that “multiple banks” have now balked at doing business with it “based on concerns that any involvement with the NRA — even providing the organization with basic depository services — would expose them to regulatory reprisals.”

The lawsuit seeks an immediate injunction to block state authorities from “interfering with, terminating, or diminishing any of the NRA’s contracts and/or business relationships with any organizations.” Without court intervention, the complaint reads, “the NRA will suffer irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other banking services due to Defendants’ actions.”
    My take: The gun grabbers will literally try anything to disarm the American people. Love or hate the NRA, without them the Second Amendment might have ended a long time ago.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-03-18 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Can anyone believe an article by the Rolling Stone?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That's why I titled the thread the way I did. I'm not sure I believe this either, but I wouldn't put it past the left to have finally landed the knockout blow they've been looking for.

Feedback Score
    I read it and see a game plan for dealing with the Southern Poverty Law Center. Put those bastards out of business.

Is the NRA talking about this? Seems like a great rallying point. Maybe they are leaving it for closer to the election?

How about having the feds jump up and down on the NYAGs head? Imagine if some state AG went after the UNCF because it is racist.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Nope. About as reliable as 4chan for information.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Deleted- My original response was incorrect and it is too late at night to write a coherent analysis of this issue.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 08-04-18 at 03:51.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It's not just Rolling Stone, it's being reported by several news outlets as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Former NRA president (Pete Brownell) left the organization after serving two years of his three year term. Here is a brief overview.

In 2017, Pete Brownell was elected NRA president for a 3-year term. I believe he should have been NRA president through 2019, or possibly into 2020. When he announced he was leaving, the NRA First Vice President informed the board that he had other commitments and wasn't available to serve as the interim NRA president. (This is also a bit curious.) The Board then asked the Second Vice President to serve as its interim president until Oliver North could fill the remaining portion of Brownell's term.

Brownell said he was leaving to focus on his business. I’m wondering if this was the real reason. The NRA has focused on the incoming president, Oliver North, and have said virtually nothing about Brownell’s departure.

Did he brake the bank? !!

Feedback Score
    Does this only affect the NRA in New York or the entire country?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Does this only affect the NRA in New York or the entire country?
    If the NRA ceases to exist, I’d say it has national ramifications.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast