Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got the revolver bug after 40 years of semi shooting and reloading

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Got a Smith 686 just on a whim. Loading for and shooting this thing is fun! I can load down to .38 target velocity or load her up good and proper.

Seriously considering a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag with 7.5 inch barrel. I will be shooting few full house .44 loads, but lots of what I'd call 44 spl +P or +P+ handloads.

What took me so long?
    Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Yeah, what took you so long? I started my handgun shooting journey with a Smith M18 .22 and it continues. I love my 4" 686-1 and I've used it for handgun competition and even some 2 gun competition. But my K frames are just such sweet shooters. I'm always looking for a fixed sight N frame.
    Fixed sight N frames are pretty scarce, unless your looking at old Triple locks and the like, including the .45 ACP/.45 Colts.

As to sort of recent manufacture, to my knowledge there are the mod 58/.41 mag, the fairly rare mod 520/.357 and the ..38/44 HD (hot .38 Special) which stopped production in the '60's.
    They are all nice and were the quintessential "fighting revolver" in the day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Fixed sight N frames are pretty scarce, unless your looking at old Triple locks and the like, including the .45 ACP/.45 Colts.

As to sort of recent manufacture, to my knowledge there are the mod 58/.41 mag, the fairly rare mod 520/.357 and the ..38/44 HD (hot .38 Special) which stopped production in the '60's.
    They are all nice and were the quintessential "fighting revolver" in the day.
    Yes they are rare but I keep an eye open never-the-less. My favorite fight'n revolver I found in a similar way. I wasn't looking for it specifically but it was a post-it note in my head, a 3" M13 .357 mag. Excellent shape and the shop didn't have a price tag on it like it was a brick of gold.

Feedback Score
    Do most of my shooting in an indoor range, and have had some lead concerns in the past, so no more bare lead boolits for me.
    A buddy got me started on 'full charge' plated wadcutters from Berry's; they're bean can WCs loaded to the old RNL standard. They're fun out of a skinny barrel Smith 64, and also in snubs. 3.5 Bullseye does 728' in a 2".
    Unhappily, the solids won't run in a Smith 52 auto; it wants the old skirted WCs.
    I'm shooting FMJs or plated out of the .45 revos and autos.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Yes they are rare but I keep an eye open never-the-less. My favorite fight'n revolver I found in a similar way. I wasn't looking for it specifically but it was a post-it note in my head, a 3" M13 .357 mag. Excellent shape and the shop didn't have a price tag on it like it was a brick of gold.
    Had a 3" m65 (SS m13) a lifetime ago.
    The concussion, muzzle blast and fireball shooting 125 gr. JHPs (.357) was considerable.
    Was just glad I never had to shoot it indoors, sans ear pro.

It was handy little piece though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fixed sight Smith's like 158 gr. bullets in my experience.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Agreed.

However that was 30+ years ago and THE “one shot stopper” was the 125 gr. JHP in .357.
    (:

Feedback Score
    I finally got my grail 4” 686-5 seven shooter this year for Christmas. Merry Christmas Y’all!!!

I think my next handgun will be another revolver. Probably next Christmas. Either a low or no dash 66 or 686 snubbie in 2 1/2”.

I think I’m done with SA for a while. I’m going back to my roots.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Try a six-inch 686 like mine.

Feedback Score
    Hoglegs and single action are fun, and it's nice to have the option of thumbing the hammer for a long shot.
    But the magic of a good revolver is shooting double action.
    Moon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123