Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: On music...

Feedback Score
    Also consider someone like the late Louis Charles "BW" Stevenson from the 1970's. He was a Texas performer whose music fell somewhere between Country and Country Rock. He released "My Maria" which was years later redone by Brooks & Dunn. Stevenson also did "Shambala", which was eclipsed by the Three Dog Night version.

Sometimes you have performers who just can't be placed in a category. Case in point is Klein, Texas native, Lyle Lovett. He's country, but not mainstream. His style of music is popular in eastern New Mexico and rural Texas.
    Last edited by OH58D; 08-06-18 at 12:04.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Also consider someone like the late Louis Charles "BW" Stevenson from the 1970's. He was a Texas performer whose music fell somewhere between Country and Country Rock. He released "My Maria" which was years later redone by Brooks & Dunn. Stevenson also did "Shambala", which was eclipsed by the Three Dog Night version.

Sometimes you have performers who just can't be placed in a category.
    It used to be called 'Country-Western' and I've always thought artists like The Son's of the Pioneers and Marty Robbins were definitely of the Western persuasion.

Not a lot of whining or bragging in their songs, just facts and stories.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    A lot of people remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from the movie A Pack O'Lies Now (that's what Army aviators called it) when they think of Air Cav. When I was with the Night Stalkers early on, I carried a cassette player loaded with a tape of Zeppelin or Steppenwolf, and we'd hammer down with Magic Carpet Ride. I miss those days.
    That is pure tits!

I saw this t-shirt the other day that reminded me of you and was going to shoot you a PM but here's the link, your post reminded me of it.

I dig the 80's Miami Vice theme for the MH-6.
    https://www.refactortactical.com/col...nt=44360416020

ETA:
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-06-18 at 14:30.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I don't see the connection personally.
    Nor do I. I always thought Bob Seger was classic rock not county, I'm in my 30's.

I listen to a classic country station and yeah they never play Seger but the classic rock station does.

As for blurred lines there is a reason my favorite singer of all time, Johnny Cash is in both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame.

IMHO modern country was ruined back in the 90's by Garth Brooks and all that followed him in that decade, ****ing Billy Ray Cyrus, etc.

In fact this is why King George (peace be upon him and his) made the film Pure Country and based his Dusty character off several of the artist of the day such as Garth Brooks who brought pyrotechnics and cable acrobats to country music.

I knew mainstream country was dead in the early 2000's when metro-sexual pop shit like Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts came on the scene.

King George and Alan Jackson (good friends in real life) even went as far as to make Murder on Music Row.

Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-06-18 at 14:28.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that what genre an artist belongs to depends on what the music industry says, too. Sometimes crossovers happen, sometimes they don't.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I think that Texas Country and Red Dirt (from Oklahoma) appeals to me so much, because most of the singer/songwriters are heavily influenced by classic country and classic rock.

95.9 The Ranch (KFWR) is a station out of Ft. Worth that plays this stuff. You can listen to it live on the internet, and they have an app that will stream it on your phone. They play Texas Country and Red Dirt, but you'll also hear Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, Willie, Waylon, Lyle Lovett, and others. Cross Canadian Ragweed once had some swag that said, "Smells like Country, tastes like Rock n Roll". I think that pretty fitting for what a lot of Texas Country and Red Dirt sounds like.

95.3 The Range (KHYI) is over in Dallas. The are more geared towards Americana and Classic Country, but they also play Texas Country and Red Dirt. You can listen to them from anywhere with an internet connection, as well.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    People like my dad would shit down both legs if someone even as "rock" as the Allman Brothers got played on the same radio station as Merle Haggard. Then you go the other extreme and a lot of rock fans both love and respect Johnny Cash. Somewhere in the middle is the popular music fan who gleefully owns both country and rock records and doesn't see anything wrong with that.

Could be why foreigners refer to all of it as "American Music".

It's three guitars and a drum kit and a vocalist that can't sing. That's all you need. Call it what you want. Those boys playin' hillbilly standards in the Appalachian Mountains are not a whole lot different than the guys with the pudding bowl haircuts playing in the garage. It's all folk music. Some add a fuzz pedal. Some add pedal steel. It's all good. Take a time machine back to the early sixties when some radio stations might play Sinatra and then the Beatles. I wasn't there but I've heard that claim from old timers.

It's all good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bob Seger is the man.

I have been collecting CD's since 1985 while stationed in Germany. I probably have about 1-200 that are from that time. I also got some Bose 901 speakers I got for $600 in '85.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I think that Texas Country and Red Dirt (from Oklahoma) appeals to me so much, because most of the singer/songwriters are heavily influenced by classic country and classic rock.

95.9 The Ranch (KFWR) is a station out of Ft. Worth that plays this stuff. You can listen to it live on the internet, and they have an app that will stream it on your phone. They play Texas Country and Red Dirt, but you'll also hear Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, Willie, Waylon, Lyle Lovett, and others. Cross Canadian Ragweed once had some swag that said, "Smells like Country, tastes like Rock n Roll". I think that pretty fitting for what a lot of Texas Country and Red Dirt sounds like.

95.3 The Range (KHYI) is over in Dallas. The are more geared towards Americana and Classic Country, but they also play Texas Country and Red Dirt. You can listen to them from anywhere with an internet connection, as well.
    I think Texas Country came out of the Outlaw Country genre when Willie and Waylon took Austin by storm in the 70's. They've been flipping the bird to Nashville ever since!

Robert Earl Keen was neighbors with Lyle Lovett when they were at Texas A&M, they would play together pick'n out on their front porches. REK IMHO is the best of the genre. Charlie Robinson's My Home Town should have been our class song but I went school with a bunch or retards. CCR (the boys from Oklahoma) were huge when I was down at Texas A&M, as was Pat Green.

As for blurring the lines of country, rock, and folk . . .

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I think Texas Country came out of the Outlaw Country genre when Willie and Waylon took Austin by storm in the 70's. They've been flipping the bird to Nashville ever since!
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Robert Earl Keen was neighbors with Lyle Lovett when they were at Texas A&M, they would play together pick'n out on their front porches. REK IMHO is the best of the genre. Charlie Robinson's My Home Town should have been our class song but I went school with a bunch or retards. CCR (the boys from Oklahoma) were huge when I was down at Texas A&M, as was Pat Green.
    I lived in College Station for a few years, and that's where I went from listening to Texas Country to meeting and hanging out with a lot of those guys. I met Robert Earl Keen in Huntsville, but he doesn't remember. He's one of my favorites, along with Steve Earle. Great song writers and story tellers. Speaking of Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett sitting on that front porch...

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast