Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On music...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

On music...

I'm 58 years old and grew up with what is now called "classic rock". Bob Seger was a mainstay back then. Listening to some old Seger on the radio today, it seems like those old tunes would fit in with the current country music sound in many cases. Accurate or way off base?

Feedback Score
    For me, Seger is much better than any modern country music. I'm 58 as well (Feb 1960). Back in the 1970's went to visit cousins in San Diego and went to a lot of concerts in southern California: Crosby, Stills, Nash, Three Dog Night, Guess Who, Led Zeppelin, etc. Met John Densmore, formerly of The Doors and I have an autographed Drum Head by him hanging on the wall. Cool dude.

A lot of people remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from the movie A Pack O'Lies Now (that's what Army aviators called it) when they think of Air Cav. When I was with the Night Stalkers early on, I carried a cassette player loaded with a tape of Zeppelin or Steppenwolf, and we'd hammer down with Magic Carpet Ride. I miss those days.
    Last edited by OH58D; 08-05-18 at 00:15.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the delineation between music genres is a lot like gender nowadays, call yourself whatever you like. This so-called country shit where they're rapping makes me sick. A lot of newer country music would've fit in well years ago in the rock music genre, to me anyways.

Bob Seger kicks ass. One of the greatest ever, and most underrated. How many other artists have a career spanning 6 decades?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    I think the delineation between music genres is a lot like gender nowadays, call yourself whatever you like. This so-called country shit where they're rapping makes me sick. A lot of newer country music would've fit in well years ago in the rock music genre, to me anyways.

Bob Seger kicks ass. One of the greatest ever, and most underrated. How many other artists have a career spanning 6 decades?
    Where Country Music went off the rails with performers who know nothing about living in the "country", Bluegrass still has remained genuine and I enjoy listening to it. Out here in Cowboy Country, there's a lot of Texas Swing type of music which is popular; yes we have Hoedowns and Square Dances.

A lot of modern country all sounds the same. You just have to fill in a few blank spots with: Drinkin', Cheatin', Whoring, Pickup trucks and a dirt road; toss in a cowboy hat for good measure. Come up with catchy name for the group (Little Big Town for example) and the performers look like a bunch prison tatooed punks or garage band Gen X flunkies who couldn't cut it in rock, so they sell out, develop a twang in their singing, and find a less critical fan base in country. Most of the new ones don't even use the old classic steel guitar.

Some of these "country" stars wear hats with about 15 coats of back lacquer paint covering the thing, for what reason I don't know. Maybe it's made out of kevlar to protect the head from disgruntled fans throwing objects? I'd like to have a day with some of these new country stars and let them really experience the country: shoveling horse shit, tossing bales of hay and some roping of calves on horseback. After an hour or so, they'd be begging to fly back to their "Little Big Town" via a Gulfstream Jet and manicured, doric columned mansions outside of Nashville.
    Last edited by OH58D; 08-05-18 at 00:48.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    country these days seems to be hollywood types acting a certain way to make money ? but I could be wrong just the way they act what they do etc...

I am 55 but was more into the whole punk rock scene from hard core to the main stream like Clash etc..

my brother who is 60 was more into the rock side of things he also was into souther rock quite a bit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Where Country Music went off the rails with performers who know nothing about living in the "country", Bluegrass still has remained genuine and I enjoy listening to it. Out here in Cowboy Country, there's a lot of Texas Swing type of music which is popular; yes we have Hoedowns and Square Dances.

A lot of modern country all sounds the same. You just have to fill in a few blank spots with: Drinkin', Cheatin', Whoring, Pickup trucks and a dirt road; toss in a cowboy hat for good measure. Come up with catchy name for the group (Little Big Town for example) and the performers look like a bunch prison tatooed punks or garage band Gen X flunkies who couldn't cut it in rock, so they sell out, develop a twang in their singing, and find a less critical fan base in country. Most of the new ones don't even use the old classic steel guitar.

Some of these "country" stars wear hats with about 15 coats of back lacquer paint covering the thing, for what reason I don't know. Maybe it's made out of kevlar to protect the head from disgruntled fans throwing objects? I'd like to have a day with some of these new country stars and let them really experience the country: shoveling horse shit, tossing bales of hay and some roping of calves on horseback. After an hour or so, they'd be begging to fly back to their "Little Big Town" via a Gulfstream Jet and manicured, doric columned mansions outside of Nashville.
    Not sure why you're hacking on "Little Big Town".. they've been around for 20 years and have performed with very little drama and a reasonable amount of talent. Very much more talented then many of the current crop of singers.

I'm also not sure when country music wasn't full of drinkin' and cheatin'.... unless you want to go back further than Hank Williams Sr. I don't think he ever shoveled shit either and his was a massive alcoholic and druggy. David Allan Coe was worse and never grew up in the country. The only two successful musicians that were working cowboys that I know of are George Strait and Chris LeDoux (I'm sure there are more). Guys that made great music like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Alan Jackson, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, and Willy Nelson didn't grow up in the country either.

Feedback Score
    Back in the day we had the Southern rock sound with Lynrd Skynrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, .38 Special, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Not sure why you're hacking on "Little Big Town".. they've been around for 20 years and have performed with very little drama and a reasonable amount of talent. Very much more talented then many of the current crop of singers.

I'm also not sure when country music wasn't full of drinkin' and cheatin'.... unless you want to go back further than Hank Williams Sr. I don't think he ever shoveled shit either and his was a massive alcoholic and druggy. David Allan Coe was worse and never grew up in the country. The only two successful musicians that were working cowboys that I know of are George Strait and Chris LeDoux (I'm sure there are more). Guys that made great music like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Alan Jackson, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, and Willy Nelson didn't grow up in the country either.
    Country Music is really a set formula with a few basic themes. There is not one single Country group/performer I totally enjoy, but a lot of the groups/performers may have one tune I really like, and that's it. It's different than my collection of Beatle, Zeppelin, Clapton and others from the Pop/Rock era where a single album could have several songs which made the purchase worthwhile.

But with Country, I may really like one or two Alan Jackson songs, one Randy Travis, one Toby Keith, one Dwight Yoakam and so on. If asked right now, I could not give you the name of a song by a group like Florida Georgia Line, or is it Georgia Florida Line? They start to all sound the same. Thank God for the internet where I can look up one individual song and add it to my play list. And yes, I am old fashioned because I'll still burn a playlist to CD to play in my truck.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference and individual taste since in addition to my large vinyl/cd collection of Pop/Rock includes a vast array of music from the Baroque music and into the Rococo art period; a time of music sometimes called Barococo. I am sort of an audiophile, still using a Denon Rosewood turntable and McIntosh gear running thru Dahlquist speakers.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    A lot of people remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from the movie A Pack O'Lies Now (that's what Army aviators called it) when they think of Air Cav. When I was with the Night Stalkers early on, I carried a cassette player loaded with a tape of Zeppelin or Steppenwolf, and we'd hammer down with Magic Carpet Ride. I miss those days.
    That is pure tits!

I saw this t-shirt the other day that reminded me of you and was going to shoot you a PM but here's the link, your post reminded me of it.

I dig the 80's Miami Vice theme for the MH-6.
    https://www.refactortactical.com/col...nt=44360416020

ETA:
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-06-18 at 14:30.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I don't see the connection personally.
    Nor do I. I always thought Bob Seger was classic rock not county, I'm in my 30's.

I listen to a classic country station and yeah they never play Seger but the classic rock station does.

As for blurred lines there is a reason my favorite singer of all time, Johnny Cash is in both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame.

IMHO modern country was ruined back in the 90's by Garth Brooks and all that followed him in that decade, ****ing Billy Ray Cyrus, etc.

In fact this is why King George (peace be upon him and his) made the film Pure Country and based his Dusty character off several of the artist of the day such as Garth Brooks who brought pyrotechnics and cable acrobats to country music.

I knew mainstream country was dead in the early 2000's when metro-sexual pop shit like Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts came on the scene.

King George and Alan Jackson (good friends in real life) even went as far as to make Murder on Music Row.

Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-06-18 at 14:28.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast