Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: On music...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    disc rot

discs are a fine thing but they are not perfect and the rot does happen

keeping digital data moving forward onto current media also is a good thing so new HDD

sadly nothing is perfect so not saying its a good step in saving just for sure have another method or two

not sure when discs will go away but I reckon they will with USB sticks being so popular and flash type memory being the more common method of storage and delivery

not saying to move music to that just saying many computers do not bother with discs anymore many home theaters do not bother with them anymore and distribution is not what it was so like the floppy and zip or jazz drives or other media we once used they will go away
    So what's the lifespan of a cd/dvd/blu-ray if kept out of the heat and high humidity? Are we at a point where an entire generation or two of music/imaging will be lost to future generations?

Regarding music, I've been thinking about this thread. Back in the 1970's, those of us listening to 60's-70's Pop/Rock knew all the intricate details of the band and the names of their members. You knew David Crosby went from the Byrds to eventually teaming up with Stills, Nash & Young. I personally saw Crosby-Stills-Nash at a concert in December 1969 with some older cousins. You knew about Clapton and the evolution from Cream to his solo career. You don't get the same thing with Country Fans. You ask them about the band members/vocalists and they can maybe name a lead singer...and that's it.

I get immense joy asking fans of Rascal-Flatts to point out in a picture and identify which one is the Rascal, and which one is Flatts. I do like a couple of their songs, but I know nothing about the members or their history.

People who know me personally find out when it comes to contemporary culture, I am a mix of Hawkeye Pierce from MASH and George Carlin. I saw Carlin live in 1981 in Arizona and I always liked his perspective. I only wish he was alive now and able to analyze where our society has gone. I detest the overuse of technology and how people interact. When I was a teenager, it was looking into the eyes of another person, a warm embrace and friendly conversation.

Now people trudge through life with a device in their right hand, eyes down looking at the thing, and making or losing friends with the click of a button. I defy that culture. When somebody asks me to "Like Us on Facebook" I just want to say "F^%$ Off". I don't define my life by a $600 telephone and how many "friends" I have on Facebook (I don't do it), nor do I do Twitter or Instagram. Maybe you get an idea of this since I've been here going on 10 years, and I've only got a little over 1000 posts. I live and work in a beautiful part of the world, and my life is not controlled or defined by modern technology.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    So what's the lifespan of a cd/dvd/blu-ray if kept out of the heat and high humidity? Are we at a point where an entire generation or two of music/imaging will be lost to future generations?

Regarding music, I've been thinking about this thread. Back in the 1970's, those of us listening to 60's-70's Pop/Rock knew all the intricate details of the band and the names of their members. You knew David Crosby went from the Byrds to eventually teaming up with Stills, Nash & Young. I personally saw Crosby-Stills-Nash at a concert in December 1969 with some older cousins. You knew about Clapton and the evolution from Cream to his solo career. You don't get the same thing with Country Fans. You ask them about the band members/vocalists and they can maybe name a lead singer...and that's it.

I get immense joy asking fans of Rascal-Flatts to point out in a picture and identify which one is the Rascal, and which one is Flatts. I do like a couple of their songs, but I know nothing about the members or their history.

People who know me personally find out when it comes to contemporary culture, I am a mix of Hawkeye Pierce from MASH and George Carlin. I saw Carlin live in 1981 in Arizona and I always liked his perspective. I only wish he was alive now and able to analyze where our society has gone. I detest the overuse of technology and how people interact. When I was a teenager, it was looking into the eyes of another person, a warm embrace and friendly conversation.

Now people trudge through life with a device in their right hand, eyes down looking at the thing, and making or losing friends with the click of a button. I defy that culture. When somebody asks me to "Like Us on Facebook" I just want to say "F^%$ Off". I don't define my life by a $600 telephone and how many "friends" I have on Facebook (I don't do it), nor do I do Twitter or Instagram. Maybe you get an idea of this since I've been here going on 10 years, and I've only got a little over 1000 posts. I live and work in a beautiful part of the world, and my life is not controlled or defined by modern technology.
    I doubt anything will be lost as we can still get music from the 1st half of the century. If it was made it was recorded somewhere on something and will just be released in whatever the current format would be.

As far as the topic goes. I don't have any serious favorites. I'd rather not listen to rap or country but if either are on I'm kinda... whatever... about it and music in general. I don't have any home music collection except for a few CDs I bought as a teen laying around in some box. I listen to one station in my car and it's mostly just for background music. The station plays classic rock from the 60s - 80s.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I really get this... Fans of current pop music and fans of current country music don't know anything about the other members of the band except the lead singer, and they change the other members out all the time because it doesn't seem to matter to their fan base. They are too distracted by all of the multi colored flashing lights and all of the dancers that do their job to distract them from the terrible music and illuminati symbolism.

Of the very few bands that I follow the other members of the band are just as important to me as the lead, and when they get replaced I take notice and I'm usually not to thrilled about the change, especially when it comes to the drummers.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 08-05-18 at 18:16.

Feedback Score

lifespan varies ? I think rot is rare but I have had it on a few discs and a while ago I just quit using them mainly do to capacity and what I do as a photographer but I had backups of HDD all the time

if you google and read again rare it happens but its more just in case you only have one copy of something rare such as photos or some live event you had just make sure you have it on a few other types of media and all is good

scanning my dads old negatives from Korean war quite a few have gone bad sadly

some of my slides from even the late 70s early 80s have faded some and changed color so reckon nothing is for ever etc.. ditto the other post wont be lost music wise as everything will be around most likely in some form

my old records are still around do not use them ? they are in another home anyway but my brother is a huge vinyl fan

my CDs I ripped everything but keep the CD with the sleeve in a thin type sleeve rather than original cover same as my movies etc..
    games these days since they have a very short play life anyway I just get digital editions
    Last edited by Honu; 08-05-18 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So what's the lifespan of a cd/dvd/blu-ray if kept out of the heat and high humidity? .
    I have some CDs, at about 30 years and they look/work fine. I'd think under proper conditions, as long or longer than LPs no?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I'm 58 years old and grew up with what is now called "classic rock". Bob Seger was a mainstay back then. Listening to some old Seger on the radio today, it seems like those old tunes would fit in with the current country music sound in many cases. Accurate or way off base?
    Accurate. Country has gradually become more rock. Originally rock and country were hard to distinguish. Listen to early Carl Perkins, or the Everly Brothers. With today's ear, those artists could fit both categories. The lines have always been blurred at times: the Beatles and Rolling Stones did some country tunes, albeit they certainly wouldn't be played on the radio alongside George Jones or Conway Twitty. But bands like the Eagles made it cool to incorporate country sounds into rock tunes. You might hear a straight-ahead country song right alongside a rocker on an Eagles or a Creedence Clearwater Revival album. So it went the other way too: country artists more and more became unabashed rockers. I think it was Marty Stewart on TV a few months or years ago that sounded like he would be right at home alongside some of the straight ahead rock bands. Check out the Georgia Satellites for an obviously country lead vocal with a hard rock backing.

I think the worst genre next to rap, though, has to be what they call "Bro Country." It incorporates some of the worst excesses of party rock and rap with an emphasis on having a good time, getting drunk, etc.

I think every Florida-Georgia-Line record should be used for target practice. Just MHO.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-06-18 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    disc rot

discs are a fine thing but they are not perfect and the rot does happen

keeping digital data moving forward onto current media also is a good thing so new HDD

sadly nothing is perfect so not saying its a good step in saving just for sure have another method or two

not sure when discs will go away but I reckon they will with USB sticks being so popular and flash type memory being the more common method of storage and delivery

not saying to move music to that just saying many computers do not bother with discs anymore many home theaters do not bother with them anymore and distribution is not what it was so like the floppy and zip or jazz drives or other media we once used they will go away
    I think disc rot is overhyped. I have CD's from the 80's that still look pristine and play just fine. It's all in how you treat them/store them.

CD's are obsolete, but even LP's made a comeback after they were written off as dead. I don't think cassettes or 8-tracks have a future, but CD's will have a niche market like LP's.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-06-18 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    Linda Ronstadt and Juice Newton had one foot in each genre. In fact, some of Linda's old tunes from the 1970's would fit right in with today's country.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Y’all have listened to the wrong Country. Country music now comes from from Texas. That crap from Nashville is Pop.
    Damn straight. Texas, Oklahoma, and Oregon are where it's at if you're looking for folks keeping the roots of country music alive.

Another song from the same session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpV4BrdU9NI
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 08-06-18 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Linda Ronstadt and Juice Newton had one foot in each genre. In fact, some of Linda's old tunes from the 1970's would fit right in with today's country.
    Both of those artists were played on country AND rock stations in their heyday.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast