Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: On music...

Feedback Score
    And I thought Taylor Swift was real country

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    And I thought Taylor Swift was real country
    Oh.....R.E.M. has done the occasional country song for Fug's sake. I think we need to define just exactly what "being country" means.

Is it:

1) Must come from a rural childhood
    2) Must have a Southern or Mid-Atlantic US accent
    3) Must write or sing songs that have recognized country themes (rural life, adultery, alchoholism, nostalgia for tradition, etc)
    4) Must wear clothing suggestive of agriculture, ranching, or equestrian lifestyle
    5) Must have some style, song material, or other deliberate nod to the Old American West

Any others? Yes, I'm deliberately biasing this against anyone from an urban setting who plays "country" music, because COUSIN, THAT JUST AIN'T WHUT UH CALL "COUNTRY".

Feedback Score
    Nice shirt. I don't think the average citizen understands how many months of training you go thru flying the MH-6 with those outboard benches and the FRIES bars (Fast Rope Insertion Extraction System), getting accustomed to the flight dynamics of those 4 extra bodies onboard. Remember that aircraft is quite small and load balance of operator's weight is considered. Fun days.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    That is pure tits!

I saw this t-shirt the other day that reminded me of you and was going to shoot you a PM but here's the link, your post reminded me of it.

I dig the 80's Miami Vice theme for the MH-6.
    https://www.refactortactical.com/col...nt=44360416020

ETA:
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Oh.....R.E.M. has done the occasional country song for Fug's sake. I think we need to define just exactly what "being country" means.

Is it:

1) Must come from a rural childhood
    2) Must have a Southern or Mid-Atlantic US accent
    3) Must write or sing songs that have recognized country themes (rural life, adultery, alchoholism, nostalgia for tradition, etc)
    4) Must wear clothing suggestive of agriculture, ranching, or equestrian lifestyle
    5) Must have some style, song material, or other deliberate nod to the Old American West

Any others? Yes, I'm deliberately biasing this against anyone from an urban setting who plays "country" music, because COUSIN, THAT JUST AIN'T WHUT UH CALL "COUNTRY".

Must habitually carry a pouch of Red Man (although the real hardcore folks carry a plug of Day's Work) and a Confederate flag bumper sticker is a plus. Thinks Rap is a form of social disease.
    sease.

Feedback Score
    Confederate flag. Missed that one.

Feedback Score
    I was never a big country fan, but there are a lot of country songs that I really like, and a lot of country artists that I respect for their talent. None of them, or very few that I can think of, are from the new crop of talentless, classless idiots.

I have a wide range of taste and will listen to anything from Jazz, country, classical, motown, rock, or disco, but by far I'm an oldies guy who is sticking to his classic rock from the mid-60s to early 80s. Nothing beats the bands that had talent, vision, and skill like the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin...

The older music, both country, or rock, was so much better, because the artists worked more at it. In fact today's purveyers of noise, can't be called "artists" in my book. In the past artists were skilled musicians, and writers. They used words that told a story, when writing the song, and when it was sung there were melodies and harmonies that came together. (I love the harmony of the Eagles) Today's auto-tuned so-called singers of any genera cannot compare to a real voice with character. (like Bob Seger) They used different guitars for different sounds depending on the song. Sometimes there would be intricate changes in time. (a great drummer is key hear like Neil Peart or John Bonham) There was generally a good bass line to anchor the song, but it wasn't the entire sound that dominated the entire track. Many bands used a variety of instruments like the piano, flute, sax, or horns.

Rap, and hop-hop, by the way, cannot even be included in a discussion of music, because it's not...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 08-06-18 at 18:37.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Great song writers and story tellers. Speaking of Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett sitting on that front porch...

One of his bests, his story telling is what I appreciate most about his live shows. It's a lost art for sure.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345