Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Caliber

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I can see one of these in my future.
    Threaded barrel?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Threaded barrel?
    I believe most come threaded (hmr, bmp, lrp, lrp elite in ORIAS chassis all do).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Threaded barrel?
    man oh man, you buys these guns and just shoot them. No bedding, threaded, DBM.....add suppressor and ammo and shoot.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went to 338 Lapua but that was overboard. I got a 6.5 creedmoor and enjoying it. Got a 300 win mag and sold the 338. Based on ballistics I say 6.5 creedmoor. But if you want something lesser as far as round price, you can’t go wrong with the 224 Valkyrie. I’m waiting to hear more reviews on the 6.5 and 300 PRC in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you can only have one, 308 is the way to go. Long barrel life, lots of ballistics data, mild relative recoil, can definitely extend past 1000. 308 will also force you to learn faster as it is less forgiving at long distances. If you were to have several I recommend a 6.5 variety in short action. .260 rem would be my pic as it is very comparable with .308 in terms of dimensions which gives you lots of options for reloading and interchangeability of components.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    6.5 CM is the current .308 of the day...

Either go with a Tikka A1 or RPR... or spend the $ and get a Lone Peak Fusion or Impact Precision action in whatever stock or frame you like with whatever trigger gets you off
    Foundation Stock/KRG Bravo chassis as a budget/MPA comp chassis as a PRS style chassis with a Trigger Tech Diamond(popular) or Timney 510(budget); contact the action makers for recs for barrels

If you enjoy shooting more than buying guns, stick with your .308 and just shoot more ammo and have fun. Under 400 yards... no diff between .308 and any other caliber that uses that same boldface.

I'd stick with your R700 if you like it and just pound steel with it every chance you get. Best way to go IMO
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 04-14-19 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    I concur with what others have said, I have been shooting a while and tried most of the new calibers. After it is all said and done, I have a safe full of safe queens and dollars spent and most of it you will never recoup. The 300WM has been around for a while and it is not a bad round if you can deal with the recoil. When it is all said and done the 308 is a good compromise when factoring barrel life. If your thing is to push the limits in range and precision, then you will find yourself following all the latest rounds and spending money you will never recoup. I started with Remington and the company has changed, after my last buy from them I will never buy from them again. Sako, Tika, RPR and Bergara for factory rifles and cost is not a bad option.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123