Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Caliber

Feedback Score

Next Caliber

Hey all.
    I have the itch again(it never really goes away) to get my next bolt gun.
    I have a 700 .308 sps.
    A few years back I picked up a 700 in 300 win mag with the intention of making it like a mil sniper rifle clone. I don't know all the designations.
    Problem: it's a beautiful 1970s era wood stocked, thin profile barrel intended for hunting elk. 1. It'd need alot if time and money to make what I want, and 2. It's a beautiful gun and I'd rather not futz with it.

Since I don't intend on hunting elk anytime soon I'm prob going to sell it, and use the funds towards my next project.

What caliber should I do? I'm prob going to go 700 platform, and although 90% of shooting will be less than 400 yards, there is a range a few hours north of me that's 1k yards plus that I'd like to stretch out at.

That being said, I've found a few 700 300's on GB in the $600 range (w/ heavy barrel and M40 style stock). Or should I consider another caliber such as 6.5, 7mm mag? 338 lp would be amazing but the $ just isn't there.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Do some reading here and elsewhere and you will find that they make other roads outside of town and most always they realized that it doesn't need or have to say Remington. Look at your budget, look at the 6.5 family and decide if you want a chassis or traditional type stock. And remember, chassis, if it doesn't come with one is made for other guns than a 700.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A lot of discussion on other forums about 6.5 vs 7mm vs 300 Win Mag. Some are concerned by the recoil of 300 Win Mag. Others the performance of lighter, smaller caliber bullets on game. Most agree shot placement is key. If you are going to hump the backwoods then a lighter weapon would seem reasonable. If you are carrying from your vehicle to your shooting position then weight is less relevant. As to recoil, my Remington Tactical Chassis (MDT TAC 21 Chassis with AAC brake) in 300 Win Mag, at 11.25 lbs without scope or bipod - felt recoil is like a 223/556. This is shooting 200 grain Hornady ELD-X or HSM 210 Bergers. With my AI AXMC in 300 Win Mag at 15 lbs without scope or bipod - felt recoil is inconsequential. So, it all boils down to personal preference. I've always preferred 45 ACP over 9mm and prefer 30 cal over 6mm, 6.5 mm or 7mm. As I get older (71) the 9mm seems more reasonable from a felt recoil perspective. And, since I'm not bashful I will tell you I have the Remington listed for sale in the Equipment Exchange forum - replaced by the AI AXMC.

Feedback Score
    6.5 creedmoor, ditch the rem700 actions. If Factory, go for tikka or howa. Drop into a krg bravo chassis. Or similar. Or just get a rifle built off a ARC nucleus or Bighorn Origins action. Either option is the only way to go today vs sinking cash into a r700 to get it trued and a decent barrel on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bulldozer3; 08-05-18 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have 3 Rem 700 300WM based guns and love them, all .5 moa guns. Good starting point and you can add barrel , triggers and stocks when $$$ permits. It's easy to buy a $3,500 gun and love it. If you have the money.

Two other options I'm considering dabbling in 6.5 creed is Bergara and Ruger precision rifle. Both come with a lot of features for the money and under $1,500, more like $1,200. If you go Remmy, get the 5R series of guns around the $1k mark. I bought 3 that were shooters.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I agree that you should at least consider getting away from the Remington 700. Tikka and Howa are great places to look for an entry level rifle.

If you want to stay with Remingtons, take a look at trued Remington 700 actions from either Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) or Pacific Tool and Gauge (PTG). NSS blueprinted 700 actions start around $425 and are relatively stock with just the receiver face having been squared up and the bolt lugs lapped. PTG blueprinted 700 actions start at $640 and offer more custom features including custom bolt handles, knobs, and bolt fluting options. They also chase the barrel threads, something that I think Northland doesn't do.

Either of those actions + a Remage barrel kit from Northland, McGowan, or McRees, and a quality chassis (or even something like a KRG Bravo or Magpul Hunter 700 stock) and you have the ingredients for a nice shooting rifle that you can assemble yourself with some basic hand tools and a set of go/no-go gauges (or have a competent smith assemble for you for minimal labor cost).

As for a caliber, do you handload? If not 6.5 Creedmoor is hard to beat.

Or since you said you will mostly be shooting within 400 yards maybe go something smaller than 308 instead of larger and take a look at a 223 remington with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel. You would be able to shoot it much more often than a larger caliber rifle and with handloads using heavy high BC bullets you can stretch a 223 out past 800 yards (for those occasions when you are able to shoot out past 400). A bolt action isn't limited to AR15 magazine length, so 80-90gr bullets are an option.

For me personally using a 300 win mag to shoot paper at 400 yards just sounds like unnecessary punishment. Those rifles are wonderful for shooting longer ranges or taking large game, but they aren't really the right tool for shooting targets at 1000 yards and in. Lots of accurate, lighter recoiling options for that these days.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 08-05-18 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-...Stainless.aspx

+
    https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-chassis/

For an "off the shelf" item(s) and it will run with the big dogs. One option just to open your eyes.

And I agree, inside 400-look at the .223 Tikka Varmint, tack driver, shoots itself. I actually just ordered a MPA LITE chassis for mine, they are doing the last run on the Lites before a redesign.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXH312-T...l-MPN-JRT.aspx
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-...Stainless.aspx

+
    https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-chassis/

For an "off the shelf" item(s) and it will run with the big dogs. One option just to open your eyes.

And I agree, inside 400-look at the .223 Tikka Varmint, tack driver, shoots itself. I actually just ordered a MPA LITE chassis for mine, they are doing the last run on the Lites before a redesign.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXH312-T...l-MPN-JRT.aspx
    I love those Tikka guns, had a 22-250 note gun that was a laser. Do they still have proprietory mags?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I recently picked up a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor for a little under $900, which I think is an incredible deal for what you get. The stock is simple compared to a chassis but seems stiff and adjustable enough. Their barrels are supposed to be excellent. Factory threaded. I'm very pleased. Topped it with a NXS 5.5-20x50. I'm gathering ammo components now.

For shooting to 400 though I would be very tempted by a nice .223 bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    For shooting to 400 though I would be very tempted by a nice .223 bolt gun.
    Absolutely. The only downside is it's too easy. Easy to load, Easy to shoot, cheap to do both... you're robbing yourself all of the heartache of dealing with any of the other cartridges.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast