Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Caliber

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    400 is well within realistic range expectations for .223. As previously stated, easy to load and easy to shoot. If you’re just punching holes in paper or banging steel, .223 may be your best bet.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was thinking about a building a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .308 (1-4X) into a 0-400 (+ when I learn) to take a practical rifle class with in October. Alas I'm stuck at home that weekend, but the itch is still there.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I love those Tikka guns, had a 22-250 note gun that was a laser. Do they still have proprietory mags?

PB
    Both calibers do. I'm going with Accurate Mags for my chassis/Tikka in .223. Mine is the stainless model, it's unbelievable how accurate it is.

If you ever get a standard stocked .223, do yourself a favor and get a single load tray if wanting that feature. I actually made one from cardboard before buying one.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I was thinking about a building a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .308 (1-4X) into a 0-400 (+ when I learn) to take a practical rifle class with in October. Alas I'm stuck at home that weekend, but the itch is still there.
    I would just buy a synthetic stocked Ruger Scout.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Both calibers do. I'm going with Accurate Mags for my chassis/Tikka in .223. Mine is the stainless model, it's unbelievable how accurate it is.

If you ever get a standard stocked .223, do yourself a favor and get a single load tray if wanting that feature. I actually made one from cardboard before buying one.
    Mark, Im a bit confused, can you use whatever mags you want with the Tikka chassis ? If so, thats a game changer in my mind.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Mark, Im a bit confused, can you use whatever mags you want with the Tikka chassis ? If so, thats a game changer in my mind.

PB
    PB, If staying with the standard stock with no mods, the stock Tikka mag is your choice. If going with a"traditional" aftermarket stock that accepts an "AI" style bottom metal, then you can use the AICS mags. I used the actual AI AICS mags for my 6.5 with XLR Element with great success. I just ordered the Masterpiece Arms Lite chassis for my .223 Tikka and they recommend using Accurate Mag which is the AICS pattern. Users state problems with AI .223 mags and either go with MDT or Accurate Mag. Since Masterpiece Arms advises to use Accurate, I'm listening as they are pricey. MDT is releasing a new design with their mags with the .308 pattern first and .223 to follow.

Hope that helps!

Mark
    https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazi...dssf-magazine/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The new KRG Bravo Stock/Chassis is another great, and relatively inexpensive option to get a Tikka action set up to work with AICS pattern magazines.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    PB, If staying with the standard stock with no mods, the stock Tikka mag is your choice. If going with a"traditional" aftermarket stock that accepts an "AI" style bottom metal, then you can use the AICS mags. I used the actual AI AICS mags for my 6.5 with XLR Element with great success. I just ordered the Masterpiece Arms Lite chassis for my .223 Tikka and they recommend using Accurate Mag which is the AICS pattern. Users state problems with AI .223 mags and either go with MDT or Accurate Mag. Since Masterpiece Arms advises to use Accurate, I'm listening as they are pricey. MDT is releasing a new design with their mags with the .308 pattern first and .223 to follow.

Hope that helps!

Mark
    https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazi...dssf-magazine/
    . I think Ai quit making 223 mags, not positive. I had a problem with one and they sent me another for free and said "we are out". I run some Accurate mags in my R700 bolt gun. Worked fine.

Thanks for the info.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I was looking at this and was between a tikka and bergara LRP or BMP.
    Bergaras are 700 clones and take AICS mags, including magpul which had me leaning that way.
    The tikka t3x tac a1 looked great as well. All 3 guns had great reviews.

I was set on 6.8CM for extended range, that said, for 400yds, hard to beat a 223.

Just sharing stuff Ive researched a few months ago, ended up focussing on pistols so no experience yet with long range bolts.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-13-18 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have 3 Rem 700 300WM based guns and love them, all .5 moa guns. Good starting point and you can add barrel , triggers and stocks when $$$ permits. It's easy to buy a $3,500 gun and love it. If you have the money.

Two other options I'm considering dabbling in 6.5 creed is Bergara and Ruger precision rifle. Both come with a lot of features for the money and under $1,500, more like $1,200. If you go Remmy, get the 5R series of guns around the $1k mark. I bought 3 that were shooters.

PB
    I handled the nicer match Bergara with chassis yesterday. I was impressed. It comes with a 3 shot target on the gun. With the measurement. This one was sub .4 moa target. I thought that was badass. I can see one of these in my future.

PB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast