Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting 3 rd burst to full auto

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Converting 3 rd burst to full auto

I have a friend who just took delivery of a Colt 733--that is an 11.5" barreled colt A2 with a two position collapsible stock, a fixed carry handle upper with A1 front and rear sights. Though it is registered as a machinegun on the form, it's fire control positions allow for safe, semi, and 3-round burst.

My friend wants to convert it to fire from 3-round burst to full auto, but wants to make sure to make to use authentic Colt parts to do so. The gun came with the following parts that supposedly allow it to be converted from 3-round burst to full auto when the selector is in the burst position. The only question is are these authentic Colt parts?

thanks,

fire control parts.jpg

hammer.jpg

trigger.jpg
    Last edited by Ed L.; 07-21-18 at 23:37.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    IIRC, the S forge marks are from Schmid Tool and Engineering in IL, who was a Colt supplier.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My Colt full auto trigger and hammer have the same markings.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He should use a Geissele SSF instead. I’ve swapped both of m16’s FCG to SSFs. The SSF makes a huge difference in controlling bursts. I can pull singles, 2, 3, and 4 round bursts with ease with a SSF installed. It’s a must have for the M16.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-22-18 at 08:06.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks so much, guys. I think my friend wants to keep it authentic so he wants to go with Colt parts and the standard trigger feel of a select fire AR.

His big issues are:

1. He wants authentic Colt parts since it is a Colt Gun.

2. Since the gun is papered as a machine gun which he paid a pricey sum for, he wants full-auto capability.

3. He does not want the relatively bad crappy semi auto trigger that comes with the 3-round burst. So hopefully the stock parts to convert it to full auto will give it a trigger on semiauto that feels like a standard AR semiauto trigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Thanks so much, guys. I think my friend wants to keep it authentic so he wants to go with Colt parts and the standard trigger feel of a select fire AR.

His big issues are:

2. Since the gun is papered as a machine gun which he paid a pricey sum for, he wants full-auto capability.

3. He does not want the relatively bad crappy semi auto trigger that comes with the 3-round burst. So hopefully the stock parts to convert it to full auto will give it a trigger on semiauto that feels like a standard AR semiauto trigger.
    Eh, I hear you but both of my M16s are factory Colt MGs. The SSF is a game changer and the only “tell” with the upper installed is the slight dimple in either side of the hammer and trigger axis pins. You should install a SSF in your 16, let him shoot it and he will change his mind rather quickly. IMO the G SSF is the single best upgrade to the M16.

Last edited by JoshNC; 07-23-18 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I will second the use of the SSF.....

OP, PM me for a direct number for authentic Colt M-16 parts....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post

His big issues are:

While I understand the sentiment its marked burst. So colt parts or not its modified. If its going to be modified I'd rather the SSF, being our mil uses it I wouldn't feel i'd done the gun an injustice. Not to mention Geiselle is just good stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    He should use a Geissele SSF instead.
    I want one for my M16A1, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Optics Planet had them for $320, but by the time I checked the price had changed back to $400. It's hard for me to pull the trigger (pun intended) at $400 when the price will likely go down as soon as I do. Yes, I know that I paid a mint for my rifle, but I'm just tight I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I want one for my M16A1, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Optics Planet had them for $320, but by the time I checked the price had changed back to $400. It's hard for me to pull the trigger (pun intended) at $400 when the price will likely go down as soon as I do. Yes, I know that I paid a mint for my rifle, but I'm just tight I guess.
    Email sent....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast