Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Thumb to you use to cock your revolver?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which Thumb to you use to cock your revolver?

Let's say you're right handed. You're shooting a revolver. Do you

(1) reach your right thumb up to cock, or

(2) reach your left thumb around?

I'm just now getting into shooting revolver (after 40 years of 1911) and I'm inclined to keep my right hand grip firm, and reach with the left thumb.

What do y'all do?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am right handed shooter. I reach my left thumb up to pull the hammer. My left thumb rides over my right thumb.

Doing this i find that i am faster and stay on target better than when i try to use my right thumb.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Yes.

Using support hand thumb to cock hammer is most efficient.
    You maintain a firing grip on weapon with "strong hand" this way- enabling quicker follow up shots, with greater accuracy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are you talking single action or double action revolver? IMO thumb cocking a double action is a bad habit to get into unless it is a hunting handgun.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use my support side thumb to cock the hammer, preserving my firing grip.

Cocking the hammer of a DA semi or revolver is a viable tactic in certain conditions.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Support hand thumb.

Feedback Score
    This question is kinda ....... well just for sports, i used my big thumb and that it. while shooting with a stance with both hands, i use my left thumb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    This question is kinda .......
    Kinda what?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I use my strong hand thumb to cock the hammer either while settling in for the first shot or while bringing the gun down out of recoil. If I need to shoot one handed there is no real change in motor skills. Most of the time I shoot D/A revolvers D/A but I also own S/A revolvers.

If you watch video of the top SASS shooters they are almost semi auto fast using their support side thumb.

I’ve been shooting my way for over 40 years and don’t feel like like there is enough difference to warrant re-training myself.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 08-05-18 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    I have always eared the hammer back on a revolver with my right thumb. Balance sixgun on the second knuckle, and press down. Cocking the hammer brings the barrel back down.

Train like you fight. The support hand should be just that: support. Support hand cocking is inelegant at best, and clumsy and forced at worst.

Saw mention upthread of SASS gamers. I'm glad they can rip off rounds fast. If you want to see how they really did it when the targets shot back, though, there are plenty of Frederic Remington prints and John Wayne movies. The "advisors" when the Duke started were almost to a man retired gunfighters or lawmen. Two handed shooting was considered such an eccentricity that the fastest revolver shot that has yet lived, Ed McGivern, only devoted a few pages to it and Elmer Keith only used it for long range (150+ yds) work.

Saw mention upthread, too, of only shooting SA when hunting. I disagree completely; SA shooting is always more accurate. If you have time to aim, you have time to ear a hammer back.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by plain old dave; 08-05-18 at 20:26.
    GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

"These men are NOT victims."
    -CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Always Chattanooga Strong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast