Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Thumb to you use to cock your revolver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I find it necessary or preferable to manually cock the hammer of a revolver I typically use the thumb of my firing hand.

Not because it's the best choice, as it is more logical to use the off-hand when possible, but it's just what I grew up doing. I have longer-than-average fingers and thumbs, so I don't have to shift my firing grip to a large degree.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can use either thumb

Feedback Score
    I don't cock them. DA for me. If I was going to cock them I'd use support hand too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I cock the hammer back on a revolver (DA or SA), I use the support hand thumb and maintain a good firing grip.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Let's say you're right handed. You're shooting a revolver. Do you

(1) reach your right thumb up to cock, or

(2) reach your left thumb around?
    Unless the revolver you're talking about is single action, the answer is "never cock"

Learn how to shoot a double action revolver properly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    Unless the revolver you're talking about is single action, the answer is "never cock"

Learn how to shoot a double action revolver properly.
    There are situations where cocking the hammer of a DA revolver is quite proper. It isn’t the “right” way...until it is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    There are situations where cocking the hammer of a DA revolver is quite proper. It isn’t the “right” way...until it is.

When Harry Callahan's supper of a foot-long hot dog is interrupted by a bank holdup across the street, he walks out of the eatery and out onto the street. Slipping his Smith M-29 out of its shoulder holster, and chewing on his last bite of hot dog, he holds it down at his right side inconspicuously (as inconspicuously as one can carry a six and a half inch M-29). Among all the sounds of the unfolding chaos, you can quite clearly hear him cock the big piece in single-action mode.

Most appropriate.

Feedback Score
    Most of the time it is not advisable to cock a double action. There are not many valid reasons. It is less accurate, slower, more prone to negligent discharge. Train as you would fight. Most serious wheelgunners are more accurate using double action than single. Gamers usually have the hammer shaved. Knowledgeable concealed carry and backup gun users rarely have hammers in their guns. If you need to cock due to infirmity or utilization of a single action then support hand thumb allows you to maintain your grip orientation. Learn to shoot double action, proper use is with the indentation of the first knuckle solidly in the trigger. Do not use the middle of the pad of your finger. You will later find this method is best for all types of triggers and ends all issues of push, pull, and over travel. Show me a proficient double action shooter and I will show you a superior marksman with any trigger type.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOL-INVICTUS View Post
    Most of the time it is not advisable to cock a double action.
    I think that particular dead horse has been well and throughly beaten. Nobody would disagree with this.

Most serious wheelgunners are more accurate using double action than single.
    I don't know what "serious" means in this context, but if handgun hunters and bullseye shooters are included in the category this claim is patently false.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    I think that particular dead horse has been well and throughly beaten. Nobody would disagree with this.
    More than many would think. It's been an instructed method in places at one time or another, when a precision shot is needed and time, distance, and cover allows.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast