Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier vs Chest rig

Feedback Score
    I picked up a plate carrier that hooks up super easy with my chest rig, (Haley) so I have the option of running both. My buddy runs a company that sells armor, so I picked up some coated AR1000 plates and the carrier pretty cheap. Its a heavy bitch, but I like to know I have it. Better plates might be in the future, just because I can....

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxtheNinja View Post
    Besides the obvious benefit of being able to carry plates, does a plate carrier have any other advantages over a simpler and lighter chest rig?...
    In short, No. Yes. Maybe. It's complicated...

Ya see, the first thing to get out of the way here is that a PC *by itself* is not *necessarily* any heavier or more complicated than a chest rig (and by chest rig, I refer to a "full loadout" rig like a Mayflower UW-series and up, NOT a "placard/micro" type)...especially with modern designs and materials. The only thing that really makes a chest rig any lighter (unless you go full retard mounting pouches to it) is the lack of armor, and any difference in complexity doesn't really happen unless you get into certain high-end Crye carriers (or perhaps some USGI stuff)...
    You still have straps and buckles to adjust on both, both are equally annoying to get on and off quickly, and both weigh in around 1.5-3 pounds unloaded.

Now as far as advantages of a PC over a chest rig, sans armor, no, it's not worth it to buy a PC and run it as a chest rig without plates.
    Unless you're planning to get plates in the near future and are just putting it together while you save for the plates.
    Or unless it's really cold where you live, then a PC will be really freaking great at trapping extra body heat...

When would someone rather wear a chest rig without plates?
    IF:
    > you can't afford decent plates
    > you're planning to carry a shit-ton of weight and are not expecting a balls-out confrontation
    > you work on a mountain in Afghanistan
    > you're to physically ****ed up to handle the extra weight of plates
    > profile and concealability are more important (although to be fair, there's some ways around that)

Hope that helps.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Kevlar, like “Second Chance” ain’t gonna stop a rifle round.
    And the chances of encountering a rifle threat INCONUS as a civilian is what exactly?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    And the chances of encountering a rifle threat INCONUS as a civilian is what exactly?
    Or a firearm threat of any kind?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    duplicate

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I like a simple chest rig (Spiritus Micro http://spiritussystems.com/shop-all/...nt/chest-rigs/, or Hill People Gear Kit Bag https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/...1/ProductID/71) for those times I'm wandering around with a gun doing low volume shooting or carrying a gun for defense against something other than well armed people.

If I'm going into something violent, I'm strapping on armor.

The Spiritus Micro serves double duty; I clip it to my slick plate carrier when I need to do plate carrier-applicable stuff.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As other have said, for us civilians, the chances of needing plates is very small. Having said that, I do own a JPC with Lvl4 stand alone plates. Will I ever need it? Who knows. The key though is training with it. Having taken a few classes with a chest rig and a few with the JPC, I will say that running plates in a class isn't "fun". Mounting the rifle is totally different and in a state where you can't adjust the length of pull on your stock it does get annoying. The point is, if you're going to own a PC, train with it. Otherwise there is no point. In a multi day class I will usually run a PC for half the time and a chest rig for the other half. That way I remain flexible and have experience with both.

The other benefit to having a PC is some classs require or recommend it. I took a CQB class a few summers ago where a carrier was required. If I didn't have my own, I would have to use the spare ones the instructor brought which were size L and XL. Too huge for me. I just signed up for an LAV CQB class where armor is recommended. I'm all set. Just another reason to possibly pick up a PC and plates.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    What do you guys think of using both together? A low profile slick PC with various chest rigs, 5.56/308/subgun/12ga over the carrier.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    What do you guys think of using both together? A low profile slick PC with various chest rigs, 5.56/308/subgun/12ga over the carrier.
    Of course that's a good idea. It's been done for awhile. The question is whether it's a good idea for your needs.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That’s exactly what I was saying I do with my Spiritus Micro.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast