Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench or Prone?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Bench or Prone?

I have trouble with Semi-Auto precision from the bench.

Prone, I have little difficulty getting behind the gun, loading bi-pod, follow through- or staying with the shot.
    All of the above are more difficult, or at least for me, require a hell of a lot more focus shooting from a bench rest.
    I do not regularly shoot as well, as tight groups, from bench as from prone.

I am first to admit I am not a world class precision shooter. Too many years of M. O. "A" zone, quickly.

However, I shoot bolt guns from the bench close to their potential. As example I have a .223 Sako and 700 in .22/250 ( they've been bedded/floated/trigger work) that I can regularly shoot <3/8" to 1/4" 5 shot groups.

Semi Precision guns I have a tendency to shoot 5 rds.; 4 rds. into a cloverleaf, or at least a tight group (not necessarily shots 1 through 4) and blow the 5 rd. group with a flier- from the bench.
    Again, shooting prone- I don't have this as a major problem.

I understand a semi-auto is more complex in achieving a high degree of precision than a bolt gun- too many "parts" slamming around that ultimately must return to their original position.

My question then; what is your preference shooting precision semi-auto, bench/prone?
    And further; are you equally capable from both positions?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My friend I am exactly in the same boat. I used to shoot bench better, but that was when I only shot out to 300 ish. I don't think you can load nearly as good on a bench. Which I feel is much more important with a gas gun. Especially in larger caliber stuff, ie my MWS in 308.

And following the shots off a bench, don't get me started. That gun jumps like a kangaroo and I'm like ' where did it go" .

Prone rheins supreme for me.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Thank you PB.

I’m relieved to hear that from you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Prone for me as well. I can't get the gun to stop jumping on the bench with a bipod. The range I shoot at has a concrete pad so its difficult to load the bipod, I sometimes use a sand bag to push against. Either way, I find shooting from prone easier and more accurate.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Prone for me too...I cannot shoot worth a darn off a bench. 100 yards or 600 yards makes no difference. Very unnatural position for me. I hate it when forced to shoot from a bench to sight in someplace that won’t allow the shooters to shoot prone.

NC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Prone for the more manageable recoiling rifles is definitely the way to go. I realize that this is a semi-automatic sub forum, but prone with big bore rifles is not very fun. 375 h+h and larger requires bench and maybe shooting sticks for cartridges over 460 weatherby.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Prone for the more manageable recoiling rifles is definitely the way to go. I realize that this is a semi-automatic sub forum, but prone with big bore rifles is not very fun. 375 h+h and larger requires bench and maybe shooting sticks for cartridges over 460 weatherby.
    I'm the opposite. I hate shooting anything with a thump off of the bench.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yeah.

One of my least favorite things is load work up/dial in with a thumper from the bench.

Had a .450 Alaskan barrel installed on an old, roached m71 Winchester. The stocks like an old '86 with a pistol grip, so it has a lot of drop- which accentuates recoil.
    400-500 gr. bullets at 2400/2100 FPS are pretty bad for 50 rds off a bench.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also shoot better from prone, but I grew tired and sore of laying on the ground. Now I try from the bench. But I also feel it important to be able to shoot from any supported position, at least. I’ve given up on shooting groups, and instead go for single dot shots, if I want to go for precision. Or I shoot my 1/4 sized silhouette..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Double tap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast