Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench or Prone?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Your body position is much different. Your are more "on the gun" while prone and "behind" while benching. Try sitting higher on the bench seat, you are almost leaning over it more so and getting closer to mimicking the prone. Problem usually is bench height and seat level, It's been years since I shot from a bench, I used to sit on one leg to raise my height.
    Yeah, heavy calibers are not fun prone, I mean heavy ones like mentioned. When I check my slugs, I use sticks or barricade.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I had a discussion with nongshim, an sme here on the boards, a couple years ago about shooting positions. He provided me this link, which has changed how I build my shooting positions, especially with gas guns: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...at+Forend.html

I stopped using my offhand to support the rear of the stock, and now have it on the handguard or magwell (depending on position) helping to pull the rifle into my shoulder, and my consistency has gone way up. I also prefer to use larger front bags as opposed to bipods whenever possible.

My LMT mws was notorious for shooting fliers. With this new technique it started shooting nice groups on paper, and I had much more success ringing steel at longer distances.

Lately I've been shooting my scar 17 a lot, and it's giving me sub moa performance with minimal effort and good ammo. And I think that's the biggest thing: It's far less of a struggle to get the accuracy I expect and know the rifle is capable of, instead of wondering why there was a flyer.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I had a discussion with nongshim, an sme here on the boards, a couple years ago about shooting positions. He provided me this link, which has changed how I build my shooting positions, especially with gas guns: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...at+Forend.html

I stopped using my offhand to support the rear of the stock, and now have it on the handguard or magwell (depending on position) helping to pull the rifle into my shoulder, and my consistency has gone way up. I also prefer to use larger front bags as opposed to bipods whenever possible.

My LMT mws was notorious for shooting fliers. With this new technique it started shooting nice groups on paper, and I had much more success ringing steel at longer distances.
    Pappabear and I need to explore this.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post

Lately I've been shooting my scar 17 a lot, and it's giving me sub moa performance with minimal effort and good ammo. And I think that's the biggest thing: It's far less of a struggle to get the accuracy I expect and know the rifle is capable of, instead of wondering why there was a flyer.
    Does the LMT like a lot of front loading or a neutral load? Ive found the SCAR to do better neutrally loaded than front loading like the SR-25 FOW.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Does the LMT like a lot of front loading or a neutral load? Ive found the SCAR to do better neutrally loaded than front loading like the SR-25 FOW.
    The mws shoots better (for me) off a big soft front bag or backpack. I never had good results with harris, atlas, or kac bipods.

Nongshim's advice to me was use less bipods, more bags/backpacks, and it has made a huge difference for me with gas guns.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a bipod and rear squeeze bag for groups. Prone, I dig the bipod in. On the bench, I lay a towel, coat, or something else bulky underneath the bipod to prevent bounce or movement. Running around, I use a backpack or bipod depending on what's up.

I perceive that I shoot better groups from the bench than prone.

I shot this group from the bench on Friday as described above. LT Stealth, 100yds, a little over .6". There were a few more that were about .8".

77smk.jpg
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The bench feels unnatural to me and awkward. My groups don’t seem to suffer too much, but I’m much happier prone. I shoot at Fudd ranges sometimes that ONLY allow bench, so I keep a Carhart jacket in my truck, and roll it up or put it on top of a rifle case or ammo can or whatever object I have laying around in my truck. 20 rnd mags can be beneficial, also. I need to buy some more of those.

FWIW (anecdotal), I have used rifles in the real world more from low walls, over rocks, out a window, crouched in ditches, standing inside a Stryker (out a hatch), etc. than I have prone. So its probably not a bad idea to practice from a bench, with its awkward height.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I prefer to shoot off a pack when bench shooting. I do shoot with a bipod from time to time. I have a section of 2x4 and two c-clamps that I afix to the bench top to provide solid listing of the bipod. I generally only use this when messing with loads.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    I prefer to shoot off a pack when bench shooting. I do shoot with a bipod from time to time. I have a section of 2x4 and two c-clamps that I afix to the bench top to provide solid listing of the bipod. I generally only use this when messing with loads.
    I tried the 2x4 clamp method and found that if it wasn't in perfect alignment perpendicular with the target it would cause uneven tension on the bipod and thus fliers. I have had much better success with a more neutral bipod with just the tiniest loading, making sure I used a quality heavy rear bag and taking time building that natural point of aim on target before shooting and letting the rifle recoil more freely back. The challenge with bipods is of course being consistent in loading while simultaneously keeping the stock in the shoulder pocket firmly. Takes some practice and experimentation for sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    making sure I used a quality heavy rear bag and taking time building that natural point of aim
    A good rear bag is huge. A bad one is worthless. We run a Heavy & Hard leather target rear bag for shooting groups, and a medium/softer bag for running shots down range.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast