Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a precision scope with RDS-like eye relief?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How do you have the scope positioned on the rifle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    How do you have the scope positioned on the rifle?
    It's right over the ejection port with just enough room for a MagPul BUIS behind it. It's in an American Defense mount which supposedly puts it at exactly the right height.

Really, though I think it's mainly that I'm having to relearn how to shoot left-handed. I got lucky that I can line up iron sights or the Meprolight effortlessly. The Leupold is going to take major practice unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Do you shoot nose to charging handle? Its a little more squished into the rifle than I like, I'm 6'-3" so I like to extend the stock more, but its useful to use as an index point to line up consistently behind the rifle.

Feedback Score
    Going off then trend if the last few posts... hold the scope off the gun, hold the rifle how you shoot, and position the scope to maximize eyebox at lowest power. Thats where you want to mount it, assuming you’re holding the rifle correctly.

Feedback Score
    I think the Accupoint 1-6x has plenty of eye relief being it's second focal plane.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    As it pertains to the OP, I don't think the particular model of scope is of any issue. Just about every low power variable scope has about the same eye relief, and even then I would argue about the degree to which any incremental change matters. Some, due to their unique optical design, might be more forgiving in what is commonly described as eye-box. But, the issue at hand is with the author getting into a repeatable and familiar position and learning to shoot on his non-dominant side.

With the American Defense & Larue style one-piece mounts, where the turrets sit between the rings can be manipulated forward or back. So MegademiC's advice is good to position the scope between the rings according to your shooting position.
    Last edited by bp7178; 08-08-18 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So, have you lost most of your vision in your right eye? If so sorry to hear that. I would go to the range and look through as many scopes as you can. My 3.5X35 ACOGS have fantastic eye relief. The 4X , not so much. An ACOG with RDS on top might work?

I think it's going to take a lot of practice getting used to using your non dominant eye. So just practice in your back yard everyday for a while and see if you get better.

Hang tuff brother.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    So, have you lost most of your vision in your right eye?
    It's about 20/40 right now but with a really grainy picture. Before I started the eye drops I couldn't even make out the reticle on my Meprolight with my right eye. Now it's improved, but in no way is it "normal." It's basically only good for peripheral vision now.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    It's about 20/40 right now but with a really grainy picture. Before I started the eye drops I couldn't even make out the reticle on my Meprolight with my right eye. Now it's improved, but in no way is it "normal." It's basically only good for peripheral vision now.
    Yea the 20/40 can be misleading if your central vision sucks. Best of luck getting squared away.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have tried a few LPVOs and IMHO the closest one to a red dot is Swarovski Z6i with a LD-i reticle. The scope has a huge FOV, very big and forgiving eye box (at small mag settings, it will get smaller towards 6X), good eye relief, and crystal clear optics. There are several reticle options, so you can select one that fits your intended use. LD-i reticle offers uncluttered and fast view with simple aiming point, but other reticles such as BRT-i are better suited for longer ranges. Kahles K16i is optically very much the same scope, but it has different reticle options and Kahles is built to withstand military use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast