Thread: Melonite Noveske barrel

Feedback Score

Melonite Noveske barrel

I’m not trying to improve the barrel, I just hate the look of stainless. I could use and number of exterior coatings but why not just melonite the whole thing and be done with it, it would make cleaning better too! Any reason this could be a bad idea? If not does anyone have positive experience with specific companies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's best to melonite the finished barrel before the extension is installed.

Is probably just Cerakote it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The issue with meloniting an already assembled barrel is the extension gets the nitride salts corroded inside the threads. There's a lot of potential there for the extension to keep corroding and at some point loosen. The correct way is to have the parts treated before assembly.

Also, some manufacturers treat the assembly, remove the extension, clean the threads, reinstall the extension, and only then drill the gas port at the proper index.

I had my stainless barrel coated with Ionbond and it's great. No altering of the material.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I had Club Custom Guns send my barrel off to be Ionbond coated.

http://clubcustomguns.com

This isn't a good picture but you get the idea.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I had Club Custom Guns send my barrel off to be Ionbond coated.

http://clubcustomguns.com

This isn't a good picture but you get the idea.
    Do this, I've used them before to coat small parts. Turnaround takes a while, but DLC is my go to coating for firearms stuff.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    The issue with meloniting an already assembled barrel is the extension gets the nitride salts corroded inside the threads. There's a lot of potential there for the extension to keep corroding and at some point loosen. The correct way is to have the parts treated before assembly.

Also, some manufacturers treat the assembly, remove the extension, clean the threads, reinstall the extension, and only then drill the gas port at the proper index.

I had my stainless barrel coated with Ionbond and it's great. No altering of the material.
    I have unscrewed an extension that was treated in place changing a MD with a reaction rod.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I have unscrewed an extension that was treated in place changing a MD with a reaction rod.
    Yea that's no bueno. I'm so glad I decided not to have my $300 WOA barrel nitrided. I really wanted the extended barrel life though.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I wouldn't chemically treat a barrel unless that option was part of the manufacturer's production process; I wouldn't do it to a finished barrel.

IIRC, Noveske held or maybe still holds a patent relating to nitriding barrels. I don't know why they never produced them, the patent was 2006-2007 I think.

ETA: https://patents.google.com/patent/US...369?oq=noveske
    Last edited by bp7178; 08-07-18 at 21:22.