G&R Tactical
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Melonite Noveske barrel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    155
    Feedback Score
    0

    Melonite Noveske barrel

    Iím not trying to improve the barrel, I just hate the look of stainless. I could use and number of exterior coatings but why not just melonite the whole thing and be done with it, it would make cleaning better too! Any reason this could be a bad idea? If not does anyone have positive experience with specific companies?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    763
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's best to melonite the finished barrel before the extension is installed.

    Is probably just Cerakote it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    2,214
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    The issue with meloniting an already assembled barrel is the extension gets the nitride salts corroded inside the threads. There's a lot of potential there for the extension to keep corroding and at some point loosen. The correct way is to have the parts treated before assembly.

    Also, some manufacturers treat the assembly, remove the extension, clean the threads, reinstall the extension, and only then drill the gas port at the proper index.

    I had my stainless barrel coated with Ionbond and it's great. No altering of the material.
    markm -
    When you make your own ammo, wasting it is repulsive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    148
    Feedback Score
    0

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    2,214
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I had Club Custom Guns send my barrel off to be Ionbond coated.

    http://clubcustomguns.com

    This isn't a good picture but you get the idea.

    markm -
    When you make your own ammo, wasting it is repulsive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    102
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I had Club Custom Guns send my barrel off to be Ionbond coated.

    http://clubcustomguns.com

    This isn't a good picture but you get the idea.
    Do this, I've used them before to coat small parts. Turnaround takes a while, but DLC is my go to coating for firearms stuff.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,376
    Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    The issue with meloniting an already assembled barrel is the extension gets the nitride salts corroded inside the threads. There's a lot of potential there for the extension to keep corroding and at some point loosen. The correct way is to have the parts treated before assembly.

    Also, some manufacturers treat the assembly, remove the extension, clean the threads, reinstall the extension, and only then drill the gas port at the proper index.

    I had my stainless barrel coated with Ionbond and it's great. No altering of the material.
    I have unscrewed an extension that was treated in place changing a MD with a reaction rod.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    2,214
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I have unscrewed an extension that was treated in place changing a MD with a reaction rod.
    Yea that's no bueno. I'm so glad I decided not to have my $300 WOA barrel nitrided. I really wanted the extended barrel life though.
    markm -
    When you make your own ammo, wasting it is repulsive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,553
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I wouldn't chemically treat a barrel unless that option was part of the manufacturer's production process; I wouldn't do it to a finished barrel.

    IIRC, Noveske held or maybe still holds a patent relating to nitriding barrels. I don't know why they never produced them, the patent was 2006-2007 I think.

    ETA: https://patents.google.com/patent/US...369?oq=noveske
    Last edited by bp7178; 08-07-18 at 21:22.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •