Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle Shim / Peel Washer Comparison Thread

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    But that’s only if you have 9 builds and each requires a correspondingly different starting point no? I.e build one requires 90*, build 2 100*, 3 120* etc?

If they all happen to require 90* you’re going to run out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe you should stick to using crush washers and be happy with the results. Replacement PA shims don't cost anymore than a POS crush washer. If you don't need the best don't buy the best.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Who has only 9 builds?

Markm did that many last Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    But that’s only if you have 9 builds and each requires a correspondingly different starting point no? I.e build one requires 90*, build 2 100*, 3 120* etc?

If they all happen to require 90* you’re going to run out
    But seriously, that's what they say. YMMV.
    Last edited by Clint; 08-08-18 at 17:28.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I’ve used the Surefire shim kit included with the Warcomp. Shims seemed well made but in order to get it timed correctly I had to use a couple of the super thin shims and they are delicate. As an included solution I give them a passing score, certainly better than a crush washer.

Also limited experience with the washers that KAC uses to install muzzle devices on their factory guns. These are thicker than the small Surefire shims, and only had 3 on my SR-15. They reinstalled to acceptable torque values when I experimented with remounting the 3 prong flash hider. I like these more than the Surefire shims.

By far my favorite is the Precision Armament washer kit. Totally worth the extra cost for the ease of selection and installation. For those worried about cosmetics the bead blasted matte finish of these washers looks more consistent with the parkerized finish on most barrels. I have yet to arrive at a washer that wouldn’t perfectly time a device between 20-35ft-lbs of torque, usually closer to 20ft-lbs. My SR-15 I have the Warcomp mounted on required 32ft-lbs to time perfectly. Since these are one piece items you don’t have to worry about a .001” washer getting twisted up against a thicker washer or barrel shoulder and ripping or getting damaged.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Awesome feedback on all systems discussed.

With the intentions of this thread being to educate, not only have I left with a better sense of options on the market, and an itch to buy them, but will surely help those in the future.

Sounds like PA is the go to, and based on a single washer with replacements costing 1.99, it's stupid not to go to that system on the basis of cost and efficiency.

With that, I can't lie that the bright silver was a small bother, but not enough to care more than a moment of thought to blacken it with sharpie or alumahyde and a qtip.

Thanks everyone again for contributing to, what is ultimately, a basic topic that can be solved with google-fu and some time. Hopefully we'll be one of those resources for someone in the future.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Maybe you should stick to using crush washers and be happy with the results. Replacement PA shims don't cost anymore than a POS crush washer. If you don't need the best don't buy the best.
    Sure, I’ll get right on that bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I too like the PA system.

I also am a dumbass with ADHD and have messed up using the shims and had to order replacement shims -- two times. The guys at PA are super helpful and shipping is quick.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I bought mine from Brownells - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54363.aspx

and later found that on the PA site they were $15.00 cheaper: https://precisionarmament.com/produc...washer-system/

Mounting Solutions Plus has them even cheaper. I recently bought an EFAB and they had the best price I could find. Forward Controls has them for the same price too, if you are already shopping there.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-20-18 at 23:10.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Are those of you using PA Accu-washers with SF muzzle devices also using said muzzle devices with suppressors?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Are those of you using PA Accu-washers with SF muzzle devices also using said muzzle devices with suppressors?
    I've got four rifles currently with PA Accu-Washers and Surefire muzzle devices (closed tine Warcomp, dual port brake, and two closed tine flash hiders). I run a SOCOM RC2 suppressor on all of them without issue. They are a whole hell of a lot easier to get aligned and torqued down than the included SF shims. I like to get as close to 20 ft-lbs as possible with perfect alignment using Rocksett and these seem to be the only way to do it that doesn't leave you pissed off after multiple failed attempts.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Used the PA shims for the first time when I got an AFAB. It was a very easy install after reading the instructions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12