Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

I've got a Colt 6920, and am wondering if it's worth switching to an AR (or another upper, but probably new rifle altogether) with a cold hammer forged barrel. I've never had any problems with my Colt but I do wonder if down the road, as I shoot increasing numbers of rounds at a time, I'll wish it had the longevity of a CHF barrel. I like the Colt a lot and it's never jammed, but reading so much about CHF vs button cut (mil spec) has planted concerns in my mind about how long it will last before accuracy starts to degrade. I find myself looking at AR manufacturers who use CHF barrels, but I also don't really want to go through with it unless I determine it's for the best.

8000 is the number I see a lot concerning the longevity of a mil spec barrel. That doesn't seem like a lot.

I know the obvious solution is to keep the Colt and get another AR, but that's not really an option for now. I'd have to sell the Colt to fund another gun.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I would not part with the Colt simply to get a rifle with a CHF barrel.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I've got a Colt 6920, and am wondering if it's worth switching to an AR (or another upper, but probably new rifle altogether) with a cold hammer forged barrel. I've never had any problems with my Colt but I do wonder if down the road, as I shoot increasing numbers of rounds at a time, I'll wish it had the longevity of a CHF barrel. I like the Colt a lot and it's never jammed, but reading so much about CHF vs button cut (mil spec) has planted concerns in my mind about how long it will last before accuracy starts to degrade. I find myself looking at AR manufacturers who use CHF barrels, but I also don't really want to go through with it unless I determine it's for the best.

8000 is the number I see a lot concerning the longevity of a mil spec barrel. That doesn't seem like a lot.

I know the obvious solution is to keep the Colt and get another AR, but that's not really an option for now. I'd have to sell the Colt to fund another gun.
    8000 rounds is $2800 worth of ammo. Barrels are wear items and are easily replaced. When, and if, you get to 8000 and see some sort of degradation in accuracy replace it.

Feedback Score
    I’d keep the Colt as is, and replace the barrel when/if it wears out.

Feedback Score
    Does Colt or any other mil spec button barreled manufacturer have a number of rounds they recommend changing the barrel at?

I've been searching all over but can't find anything definitive... probably because a large part of it has to do with the rate of fire at which those rounds were shot. If anyone has any idea though, I'd appreciate it.

I'm aware of "Filthy 14" and its button barrel but iirc they didn't say at what round count the groups started opening up, only that by the end it was doing 2" groups at 50 yards. My gun is a defensive carbine and at typical distances even degraded accuracy wouldn't make a difference, but I'd want to replace the barrel when it starts showing signs of accuracy degradation just for preventative maintenance.

If anyone has a 6920 with a high round count (over 5-6k) I'd love to hear a report.

I'd take a Colt barrel over many competing CHF ones.
    Interesting. Why is that?
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 08-06-18 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

Does Colt or any other mil spec button barreled manufacturer have a number of rounds they recommend changing the barrel at?

I've been searching all over but can't find anything definitive... probably because a large part of it has to do with the rate of fire at which those rounds were shot. If anyone has any idea though, I'd appreciate it.

I'm aware of "Filthy 14" and its button barrel but iirc they didn't say at what round count the groups started opening up, only that by the end it was doing 2" groups at 50 yards. My gun is a defensive carbine and at typical distances even degraded accuracy wouldn't make a difference, but I'd want to replace the barrel when it starts showing signs of accuracy degradation just for preventative maintenance.
    I’m not aware of any manufacturers that state life expectancy because as you said, it depends on a lot of factors. You’re best bet is probably going to be grouping it periodically, like after every other range day. You’ll have to decide when it opens up too much for your liking and then replace it. The good news is that Colt barrels always seem to perform well above the price point of the rifles they’re on.

I think the 8k thing is just what the military’s minimum requirement was, but I can’t remember where I read that so I may be wrong. What’s your barrel at right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 08-06-18 at 22:30.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    You are overthinking this.

Shoot it. When it starts having grouping issues or keyholing or something similar then get a new barrel of your choice.

How many rounds are you going to shoot a year? What kind of shooting are you doing? Most people will never wear out a barrel and worrying about it is just silly unless you plan on shooting 1000+ rounds per month every month. And even then it will take a long time.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The method by which the rifling is formed is only one of many aspects that decide how well a barrel shoots and how long it lasts. Colt's long standing barrel reputation can't be ignored....and yep, you're over thinking this.

I've got a 6920 as well as BCM and FN hammer forged barrels in uppers I've assembled. Their performance is basically equal, and I fully expect this to remain the case until they've had more than 8 thousand rounds through them. At that point (as stated above) I'll happily pull it and replace it with another since I would have gotten thousands of dollars of use out of it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    In the military barrels are changed when they fail certain gaging such as bore erosion, or headspace. By the time you need change that barrel, several years will have come and gone.

If anyone has a 6920 with a high round count (over 5-6k) I'd love to hear a report.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Rate of barrel wear depends on a bunch of factors: rate of fire, bullet type/weight, and powder type/and volume. Rate of fire is probably the biggest factor, full auto will burn a barrel much faster.
    Barrel life depends on what your accuracy standard/requirement: shoot for groups on paper every couple thousand rounds, or when you think your accuracy might be dropping below your standard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast