Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The method by which the rifling is formed is only one of many aspects that decide how well a barrel shoots and how long it lasts. Colt's long standing barrel reputation can't be ignored....and yep, you're over thinking this.

I've got a 6920 as well as BCM and FN hammer forged barrels in uppers I've assembled. Their performance is basically equal, and I fully expect this to remain the case until they've had more than 8 thousand rounds through them. At that point (as stated above) I'll happily pull it and replace it with another since I would have gotten thousands of dollars of use out of it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    In the military barrels are changed when they fail certain gaging such as bore erosion, or headspace. By the time you need change that barrel, several years will have come and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Does Colt or any other mil spec button barreled manufacturer have a number of rounds they recommend changing the barrel at?

I've been searching all over but can't find anything definitive... probably because a large part of it has to do with the rate of fire at which those rounds were shot. If anyone has any idea though, I'd appreciate it.

I'm aware of "Filthy 14" and its button barrel but iirc they didn't say at what round count the groups started opening up, only that by the end it was doing 2" groups at 50 yards. My gun is a defensive carbine and at typical distances even degraded accuracy wouldn't make a difference, but I'd want to replace the barrel when it starts showing signs of accuracy degradation just for preventative maintenance.

If anyone has a 6920 with a high round count (over 5-6k) I'd love to hear a report.

Interesting. Why is that?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Does Colt or any other mil spec button barreled manufacturer have a number of rounds they recommend changing the barrel at?

I've been searching all over but can't find anything definitive... probably because a large part of it has to do with the rate of fire at which those rounds were shot. If anyone has any idea though, I'd appreciate it.

I'm aware of "Filthy 14" and its button barrel but iirc they didn't say at what round count the groups started opening up, only that by the end it was doing 2" groups at 50 yards. My gun is a defensive carbine and at typical distances even degraded accuracy wouldn't make a difference, but I'd want to replace the barrel when it starts showing signs of accuracy degradation just for preventative maintenance.

If anyone has a 6920 with a high round count (over 5-6k) I'd love to hear a report.

Interesting. Why is that?
    Rate of barrel wear depends on a bunch of factors: rate of fire, bullet type/weight, and powder type/and volume. Rate of fire is probably the biggest factor, full auto will burn a barrel much faster.
    Barrel life depends on what your accuracy standard/requirement: shoot for groups on paper every couple thousand rounds, or when you think your accuracy might be dropping below your standard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    You are overthinking this.

Shoot it. When it starts having grouping issues or keyholing or something similar then get a new barrel of your choice.
    This.

And in the meantime, get an envelope and write "New Barrel Fund" on it. Put a couple bucks in the envelope every time you buy ammo. By the time you actually need a new barrel, there should be plenty of cash in the envelope to pay for it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Only reason to grab a new rifle would be to get a different gas length like mid or rifle. Other than that, your colt is golden until you hit the 2moa group area. If you are at that, the barrel will start deteriorating fast in my experience. But those colt barrels will go well in excess of 20k rounds and hold 4moa. Buy a colt socom barrel from grant every year for $240 and never worry about barrels again haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What’s your barrel at right now?
    About 2300. It sat in the safe for a while after I got it because I was away, but I’ve put the 2300 through it over the past almost 1.5 years. It has run 100%.

How many rounds are you going to shoot a year? What kind of shooting are you doing?
    I don’t know exactly, I’d imagine at the least 1k a year but it could be more. I plan to take some carbine courses and want to keep proficient, so the firing schedule will reflect that.

I traded an early-made S&W M&P 15OR that gave me much consternation to a gunsmith who wanted it plus $125 to get the 6920 NiB.

^This. Colt barrels are the gold standard. There are attributes that some may find desirable over a Colt barrel (such as a different gas system, profile, contour, etc) but it's not a knock on the Colt barrel. I have several different barrels on my carbines and I don't feel the Colt barrel gives up anything to them. If I'd started off with Colts rather than hobby grade rifles, I'd probably just have bought a couple Colts and been done with it for carbines.
    Well, that’s reassuring. As far as the profile and gas system, I’m pretty happy with it. Lower recoil than the M&P 15 I had, and good ejection. It’s only the barrel making process I’ve started to think about, but the consensus seems to be that I'm overthinking it, which I tend to do.

Only reason to grab a new rifle would be to get a different gas length like mid or rifle. Other than that, your colt is golden until you hit the 2moa group area. If you are at that, the barrel will start deteriorating fast in my experience. But those colt barrels will go well in excess of 20k rounds and hold 4moa. Buy a colt socom barrel from grant every year for $240 and never worry about barrels again haha.
    I’m good with the carbine length gas for general use I think... Though I would eventually like to get a 20” A4 with rifle gas for no particular reason other than I want one.
    If I could find the Socom barrels in stock anywhere I’d pick one up to have laying around! In the meantime, I’ll take specialk’s advice and start stashing cash away for when I find one.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    About 2300. It sat in the safe for a while after I got it because I was away, but I’ve put the 2300 through it over the past almost 1.5 years. It has run 100%.

I don’t know exactly, I’d imagine at the least 1k a year but it could be more. I plan to take some carbine courses and want to keep proficient, so the firing schedule will reflect that.
    With that low of a round count that barrel will last you a LONG time.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    You are overthinking this.

Shoot it.
    Best advice ever. We could avoid 50% of waste of time threads if people heeded this.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    If I could find the Socom barrels in stock anywhere I’d pick one up to have laying around!
    Colt SOCOM barrel
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Thanks! Don't know how I missed it. Excellent price, too. Can't wait to get it in and stash it away for peace of mind.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast