Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

Shoot the rifle until groups start opening up to unacceptable levels and then change the barrel. If you have the tools it’s probably a 30 min process start to finish, at most.

Also 8k Rounds is an arbitrary number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    With that low of a round count that barrel will last you a LONG time.
    This. Just shoot, build skills and enjoy. Don’t stress over problems you don’t have.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lucky Gunner did a test on barrels using different types of ammo. They got to over 10K rounds using quality, brass cased ammo and didn't have any noticeable degradation.

Feedback Score
    Shoot the barrel until it is keyholing, then replace it.

This isn't hard.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Shoot the barrel until it is keyholing, then replace it.

This isn't hard.
    Lol like any of these dudes actually shoot their guns enough to get them keyholing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    8000 is the number I see a lot concerning the longevity of a mil spec barrel. That doesn't seem like a lot.
    I shot a Bushmaster 14.5 Carbine barrel for 25-30k with no issues. I only changed it out because the port was too big, I could have got another 8k or more I bet. The throat was long, but not insanely so.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Keep the colt, they are solid barrels that all others are judged against. I have two CHF barrels, a spike's/FN 14.5 lightweight that has probably 3k through it and a Noveske 16 optimum that has maybe 400 through it. Accuracy wise the 14.5 is lights out, the 16 is okay but i've never rear bagged it and shot really good ammo through it. Maybe you'll see some accuracy loss but the rate of fire plays a big factor into barrel life. If you're getting that gun stupid hot because a range trip is 500 rounds for you then yeah it may wear out quicker but if you're a 100 rounds taking your time shooting for groups then it may last longer.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Shoot it out, then try a chf barrel if you want. I highly doubt you will realize performance gains or financial benefits by switching.

I have a chf barrel and my groups are on par or less accurate than molon’s colt tests.
    My chf barrel mirrors his Kreiger and Douglas groups with some ammo even heats his. What barrel do you have. I'm using a 4 power scope, and a sand bag under the front only, by the way. Not his 25x and fancy getup.

OP, 8k rounds includes break contact fa use....I get your barrel lasts a lot longer unless you're requiring 1moa or better for 10 shot groups.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Lucky Gunner did a test on barrels using different types of ammo. They got to over 10K rounds using quality, brass cased ammo and didn't have any noticeable degradation.
    They also got it so hot barrel heat killed an eotech, iirc...

Feedback Score
    What about midlength gas systems? Would I notice an increase in longevity of the rifle and would it be more inherently reliable? Not that my Colt has had any stoppages, but maybe I just haven't shot it enough to get one. I shot a friend's midlength before and didn't notice a difference in recoil so I just haven't thought about it much, but it seems like it's almost considered a must by many.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast