Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Should I switch to a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    What about midlength gas systems? Would I notice an increase in longevity of the rifle and would it be more inherently reliable? Not that my Colt has had any stoppages, but maybe I just haven't shot it enough to get one. I shot a friend's midlength before and didn't notice a difference in recoil so I just haven't thought about it much, but it seems like it's almost considered a must by many.
    A convenience moreso than a must. Unless you’re like me and never satisfied, there’s not a lot of reasons to switch to a middy if you already have a carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    A convenience moreso than a must. Unless you’re like me and never satisfied, there’s not a lot of reasons to switch to a middy if you already have a carbine.
    http://www.recoilweb.com/mid-length-...es-137279.html

This is what's got me thinking (again). These look like some pretty drastic differences. I know there's been a million threads on the topic of mid vs carbine gas already, but this is the first time I've seen anything close to documented evidence.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 08-08-18 at 22:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    My chf barrel mirrors his Kreiger and Douglas groups with some ammo even heats his. What barrel do you have. I'm using a 4 power scope, and a sand bag under the front only, by the way. Not his 25x and fancy getup.

OP, 8k rounds includes break contact fa use....I get your barrel lasts a lot longer unless you're requiring 1moa or better for 10 shot groups.
    Centurion LW. I guess to be fair, Ive only used factory loads, and maybe Im not good enough. With 4 power i get 1.3” with fusion, best ive got was a .9” 5-shot but could never get under 1.1” fir 10shot with various match ammo. I have yet to try BH so take it for whatut worth.

Its a great barrel, but i wouldnt sell a colt barrel at a loss for it either at this point.

The gun isnt a precisionrifle, ive just shot for groups as a baseline.

Feedback Score
    http://www.recoilweb.com/mid-length-...es-137279.html

This is what's got me thinking (again). These look like some pretty drastic differences. I know there's been a million threads on the topic of mid vs carbine gas already, but this is the first time I've seen anything close to documented evidence.
    You've got the bug and you want something new. Stop looking for excuses to justify it and -- if you must -- just do it for its own sake. CHF is no game changer and neither is mid-length, or much else, really. You likely have all you'll ever need in the 6920 and are better off focusing in and mastering it instead of leap-frogging looking for something special that won't be found -- but we all do it anyway, so go ahead, just don't make it something it's not or expect much difference once the dust settles.

Feedback Score
    What about midlength gas systems? Would I notice an increase in longevity of the rifle and would it be more inherently reliable? Not that my Colt has had any stoppages, but maybe I just haven't shot it enough to get one. I shot a friend's midlength before and didn't notice a difference in recoil so I just haven't thought about it much, but it seems like it's almost considered a must by many.
    http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14...d-performance/

All in all midlength is superior, less wear and tear and less perceived felt recoil.

From reading this thread it sounds like what you really want is to build another rifle. I am a big fan of BCM especially with their cold hammer forged ELW barrels. They are far superior to the government profile barrels because they get rid of the excess weight up front where it is not needed nor wanted. Nothing wrong with Colt but they are not the end all be all anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post

All in all midlength is superior, less wear and tear and less perceived felt recoil.

From reading this thread it sounds like what you really want is to build another rifle. I am a big fan of BCM especially with their cold hammer forged ELW barrels. They are far superior to the government profile barrels because they get rid of the excess weight up front where it is not needed nor wanted. Nothing wrong with Colt but they are not the end all be all anymore.
    I think it's also worth noting that a gas system has to be "setup" properly. You can get over gassed mid-lengths that have more perceived recoil than a standard Colt carbine. I personally don't notice a huge difference compared to standard 6920... at least nothing that has me saying, "Wow! This is the only way to go!" FWIW and for the money, Colt barrels are my favorite: forgiving chamber, properly gassed, and can usually keep moa or better with match ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post

I think it's also worth noting that a gas system has to be "setup" properly. You can get over gassed mid-lengths that have more perceived recoil than a standard Colt carbine. I personally don't notice a huge difference compared to standard 6920... at least nothing that has me saying, "Wow! This is the only way to go!" FWIW and for the money, Colt barrels are my favorite: forgiving chamber, properly gassed, and can usually keep moa or better with match ammo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I only buy hammer forged barrels when building a rifle with a chrome lined barrel.

That said, I wouldn’t ever pull a perfectly good colt barrel just for a forged one. If I shot out the original barrel I would replace it with a forged one.

But more importantly, I’d get a mid length gas system and a better profile. Either tapered or pencil. These two things would be more of a concern/benefit than the hammer forged aspect.

To me a forged BCM enhanced lw 16” midlength barrel is the perfect barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I only buy hammer forged barrels when building a rifle with a chrome lined barrel.

That said, I wouldn’t ever pull a perfectly good colt barrel just for a forged one. If I shot out the original barrel I would replace it with a forged one.

But more importantly, I’d get a mid length gas system and a better profile. Either tapered or pencil. These two things would be more of a concern/benefit than the hammer forged aspect.

To me a forged BCM enhanced lw 16” midlength barrel is the perfect barrel.
    And that is exactly what I have on my grab-and-go gun! Gas block pinned by Adco to boot.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Keep the Colt! CHF doesn't mean shit. Summit Co. Sheriff's
    Dept. near me bought 12 LWRC DI guns. 6 had to be returned because the barrels were shot out at 8300 nds! Not degraded accuracy, worn out! CHF Nicorr barrel. LGS has an older lwrc sbr with 20k +still holding good groups. Owner of sbr thinks it's because of new barrel supplier. LWRC wouldn't warranty the barrels & want 600.00 each to replace them. Save your pennies up for a spare Colt SOCOM barrel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast