I’ll try to break this down as best I can, coming from someone who’s never used NV in any capacity, and my questions are mostly geared toward use in a combat environment.

1. Some manufacturers are putting out significantly higher optic mounts, for example the KAC/Redback 1 1.34” Aimpoint Mount as well as the KAC 1.9” 30mm scope mount. These are for more easily looking through optics while using NODS. Does this mean that an IR illuminater is no longer needed if the soldier can just look through his primary optic?

2. Can an LPVO such as the NF ATACR 1-8 be used in conjunction with NODS? Or just red dots? What makes an optic NV compatible?

3. Does the increased height over bore of the above-mentioned mounts make it difficult to shoot precisely from the prone position due to no cheek rest, restricting use to standing or dynamic shooting?

4. As far as night vision optics designed to be mounted in front of a primary optic, when would this application be utilized over NODS? Only in a stationary precision rifle?

5. What distance are IR lasers typically zeroed at?

6. If your IR device also has a visible laser, is it recommended to use it in conjunction with a white light using some sort of TAPS programmable button?

7. Is the MAWL just better than everything else?

8. If NV gives troops such an advantage, why aren’t all objective-based operations conducted at night?