Thread: Questions on Night Vision Integration!

Feedback Score

Questions on Night Vision Integration!

I’ll try to break this down as best I can, coming from someone who’s never used NV in any capacity, and my questions are mostly geared toward use in a combat environment.

1. Some manufacturers are putting out significantly higher optic mounts, for example the KAC/Redback 1 1.34” Aimpoint Mount as well as the KAC 1.9” 30mm scope mount. These are for more easily looking through optics while using NODS. Does this mean that an IR illuminater is no longer needed if the soldier can just look through his primary optic?

2. Can an LPVO such as the NF ATACR 1-8 be used in conjunction with NODS? Or just red dots? What makes an optic NV compatible?

3. Does the increased height over bore of the above-mentioned mounts make it difficult to shoot precisely from the prone position due to no cheek rest, restricting use to standing or dynamic shooting?

4. As far as night vision optics designed to be mounted in front of a primary optic, when would this application be utilized over NODS? Only in a stationary precision rifle?

5. What distance are IR lasers typically zeroed at?

6. If your IR device also has a visible laser, is it recommended to use it in conjunction with a white light using some sort of TAPS programmable button?

7. Is the MAWL just better than everything else?

8. If NV gives troops such an advantage, why aren’t all objective-based operations conducted at night?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    I’ll try to break this down as best I can, coming from someone who’s never used NV in any capacity, and my questions are mostly geared toward use in a combat environment.

1. Some manufacturers are putting out significantly higher optic mounts, for example the KAC/Redback 1 1.34” Aimpoint Mount as well as the KAC 1.9” 30mm scope mount. These are for more easily looking through optics while using NODS. Does this mean that an IR illuminater is no longer needed if the soldier can just look through his primary optic?
    No, the high mounts are NOT designed with the intent of looking through optic with a NVD. The original intent was to get an optic mount high enough to put the FOV over a PEQ mounted at 12'oclock on a rail/handguard. Higher mounts also allow for gas mask use (a design intent of the Redback One mount), and give a quick 'heads-up' shooting stance. Aiming with NODs is primarily done with a weapon mounted laser aiming device, and a co-aligned illuminator. Analogous to a daytime visible aiming laser, and a white light.
    2. Can an LPVO such as the NF ATACR 1-8 be used in conjunction with NODS? Or just red dots? What makes an optic NV compatible?
    In a practical sense, no, you probably aren't going to want to use a LPVO with a PVS-14 type NOD. A clip-on type weapon mounted NOD might work with a LPVO, but it depends on the set up. For RDS type sight, what makes them 'NV compatible' are low intensity settings on the RDS that allow the dot to be seen through a NOD w/o blooming (too much light) the image. Again, a weapon mounted IR laser/illuminator is your primary aiming method with NODs, unless you are using a clip-on type NOD.
    3. Does the increased height over bore of the above-mentioned mounts make it difficult to shoot precisely from the prone position due to no cheek rest, restricting use to standing or dynamic shooting?
    In theory, yes. You do not completely lose your ability to get a cheek weld. How much it affects you really depends on the set up, shooter skill, situation, etc. When you choose a high mount, prone shooting is not your primary purpose, or concern, but it is still possible.
    4. As far as night vision optics designed to be mounted in front of a primary optic, when would this application be utilized over NODS? Only in a stationary precision rifle?
    Yes, that is pretty much it.
    5. What distance are IR lasers typically zeroed at?
    What is typically done, and what is good, or correct might be two different things. 100 yard/meter zero, and confirmation is good, but it is often hard to do that due to range limitations for night shooting
    6. If your IR device also has a visible laser, is it recommended to use it in conjunction with a white light using some sort of TAPS programmable button?
    That's possible, but entirely user needs/wants dependent.
    7. Is the MAWL just better than everything else?
    Yes, pretty much.
    8. If NV gives troops such an advantage, why aren’t all objective-based operations conducted at night?
    That's a big topic, and broad question, but I'll just say this: Despite NODs becoming more ubiquitous in general force units, there is still a big gap in end use expertise among the same units. With NODs, knowing how to use them is a huge issue, and really determines how effective they are. A lot of people just don't know how to get the most out of them. Also with night operations, there is a risk factor that commanders may not want to take, so risk aversion is another reason.

If you want to know more, I can put you onto a NOD combat use SME, that can give you all the answers you could ever want to know about them .

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Yes, now that you mention it I totally remember Jason Falla explaining that the high mount was for use with gas masks and to clear PEQs, my bad.

All your responses were super informative.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Fwiw regarding point 1. Running a red dot in a high rise mount or on a riser under BNVDs in conjunction with an SF vamp is absolute bae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Fwiw regarding point 1. Running a red dot in a high rise mount or on a riser under BNVDs in conjunction with an SF vamp is absolute bae.
    I do not understand what you said. Translation, please?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You’re running the gun and optic same as you would with white light, only under NODs and in the IR spectrum. No laser.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Is it though? I’ve honestly found lasers better in almost every circumstance. And you don’t lose natural night vision when using a monocular.