Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trying to Pick a Mid Length (or rifle)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Okay, so I've been fighting it, but now but I can't fight it any longer. I want to go to a mid or rifle length gas system. I never thought much about this much until the Crane test put forth hard evidence that mid length does indeed increase reliability and longevity significantly. This is for my "go-to" rifle (home defense, carbine courses, and general use). It will be shot a lot.

I currently have a Colt 6920, but am going to either:

-Sell the 6920 to get a mid length (considering Noveske Light RECCE Basic or DDM4v5)

-Keep the Colt and get the URGI (nearly) clone Upper to slap on the 6920 Lower: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...12-216104.aspx

-Find an 18" rifle gas system upper or complete rifle that would fill the home defense/general use role nicely (too long?)

-Something else that I haven't thought of that would fulfill this role the best.

The URGI "clone" hasn't been out for very long so I haven't heard of many experiences with it, but besides the handguard it seems to be just a regular (though high quality) CHF barreled mid-length 14.5" upper.

Most of the 18" rifles seem to be more geared towards 3 gun competition and are a bit too "racey" for my tastes (at least from DD), but maybe it's because I don't care for the Daniel Defense furniture, which could be easily remedied.

The complete URGI upper is around the same price point as a Noveske Basic middy complete rifle. Is there some sort of advantage of the URGI over the Noveske Basic other than the handguard that's seemingly impossible to get otherwise? The MK 16 M-LOK handguard doesn't do much for me and I like my ARs all black, but it does seem nice.

I'm considering all this primarily because I want the most reliable and long-service-life AR I can get. I know there's nothing wrong with the Colt 6920, but I'm coming to accept that I can't be satisfied when there's something "better". I bought the 6920 a couple of years ago because I was convinced there wasn't anything out there more reliable with more longevity.

Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks.
    I will add my voice to the "just shoot it 'till it keyholes" contingent. 6920s are very reliable and durable. Just switch to the longer Slimline handguard and pretend it's a middy until the barrel wears out.

If you're determined to spend money, get the Colt 6960 CCU upper from Brownell's, or get a complete 6960.

Or, you can do what I did. Swap the 6920 barrel for a Colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel pinned it to legal length. It's more involved but the results have been very satisfying.

Whatever you do, get out of the Analysis Paralysis, make a choice and follow it through.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You got a reliable gun already. If you’re still worried about reliability, buy a second gun as backup and carry a pistol as well as the carbine.

The weak link is not the gun or choice of guns. It’s likely your skill set.

Learn, train, shoot, keep improving.

Inside 50 yards, guys that are good with pistols will beat guys that don’t practice with their ARs

Feedback Score
    I think I’m gonna go with the 6960 upper and then save up for a KAC. I will keep the 6920 upper to have on hand. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's a solid decision.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I think I’m gonna go with the 6960 upper and then save up for a KAC. I will keep the 6920 upper to have on hand. Thanks for everyone’s input.
    A good choice. I have several ar's two carbine and two midlength. I love them all for very different reasons, I also just enjoy having them.

This option gives access to what you want now, in a very useable way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Good plan.

You’re going to love the SR-15 once you get it. Mine is quickly becoming my favorite carbine. Had it out the other day, wearing a 1-4x24 Nightforce, running 69gr Federal Gold Medal got first round hits (plus 100% subsequent hits on target) at 432 yards, and 552 yards (measured with a Leica LRF1600b). Hard to complain about a lightweight carbine with a hammer forged chrome lined barrel that turns in those kinds of results.

Frankly the other 3 I have are on the chopping block, I’d just as soon have another SR-15.

In the meantime I’m literally in the gym right now, in between sets of heavy (for me) squats. Mrgoodtimes has good advice you!
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 08-11-18 at 01:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Good plan.

You’re going to love the SR-15 once you get it. Mine is quickly becoming my favorite carbine. Had it out the other day, wearing a 1-4x24 Nightforce, running 69gr Federal Gold Medal got first round hits (plus 100% subsequent hits on target) at 432 yards, and 552 yards (measured with a Leica LRF1600b). Hard to complain about a lightweight carbine with a hammer forged chrome lined barrel that turns in those kinds of results.

Frankly the other 3 I have are on the chopping block, I’d just as soon have another SR-15.

In the meantime I’m literally in the gym right now, in between sets of heavy (for me) squats. Mrgoodtimes has good advice you!
    What a coincidence, I'm about to hit the gym for some heavy (probably not by Mrgoodtimes standards) squats before my flight.

Man I really want an SR15, I've already stuffed $1k in a marked envelope for one. The next $1.5k might not come as quickly. Gotta have patience. Hopefully the political situation doesn't change before I've procured at least one SR15. In the meantime, I've got a 6960 upper on the way that needs shooting.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    SWA,

Have you taken a carbine class? If you haven’t, take that money you’ve got set aside for the SR15 and get to a class. You won’t regret it. After some training you’ll have a much better idea of what works for you and you’ll end up getting more out of your range time with your SR15 when you do get it. I’m a big supporter of getting what ever gun you want. That is definitely part of the fun of shooting. While I consider what I’ve spent on my BCM and Noveske carbines to be money well spent, the best thing I’ve spent my money on has been training. That training has been invaluable. I was exactly where you are now about 8 years. Just my $0.02.

Korgs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    SWA,

Have you taken a carbine class? If you haven’t, take that money you’ve got set aside for the SR15 and get to a class. You won’t regret it. After some training you’ll have a much better idea of what works for you and you’ll end up getting more out of your range time with your SR15 when you do get it. I’m a big supporter of getting what ever gun you want. That is definitely part of the fun of shooting. While I consider what I’ve spent on my BCM and Noveske carbines to be money well spent, the best thing I’ve spent my money on has been training. That training has been invaluable. I was exactly where you are now about 8 years. Just my $0.02.

Korgs
    Training and ammo.. rinse.. repeat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234