Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56: Fragmentation or Expansion?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but where does MK318 fall in this discussion.

Agree with those before who say M193 is junk. For me it is relegated to shooting on my buddies farm.
    Mk318 is probably the best military barrier blind ammo but still not as good as bonded sp iirc.

Fwiw, m855 is terrible against barriers as well. It will punch holes through cinder blocks, but terminal performance through autoglass and sheet metal does not compare to bonded softpoints.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I saw it somewhere before but cannot recall where nor find it but it was a thread that compared the MK318 to it’s civilian counterpart. There is a federal bullet that has the same or similar performance...it might be the Fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Mk318 is probably the best military barrier blind ammo but still not as good as bonded sp iirc.

Fwiw, m855 is terrible against barriers as well. It will punch holes through cinder blocks, but terminal performance through autoglass and sheet metal does not compare to bonded softpoints.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I saw it somewhere before but cannot recall where nor find it but it was a thread that compared the MK318 to it’s civilian counterpart. There is a federal bullet that has the same or similar performance...it might be the Fusion.
    Fusion is typically compared to Gold Dot, not sure if 318 is as well or not. While there’s a lot of good stuff out there, I used to stick to Fusion because it was easy to find. I think in the future I’ll have one mag of Fusion as the primary load and then a ton of 262 on hand. There are several manufacturers making that load in bulk and while it’s not the best for barriers it does really well at everything else. I figured enough rounds into the barrier will create a hole for others to go through if it really comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Doc made a comment about if he was in military, hed want 318(this was pre-855a1, or during the high-pressure phase).
    For Conus use he said he would choose a bonded soft point.

I stock fusion, its cheap, its accurate, it performs well theough barriers, its consistent, and its a good hunting round. Its not the “best” but its performance is close and is readily available.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think you are talking about Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Although I don’t think 318 is bonded. I’m not educated enough on this round.

Not directed at Hotrodder, necessarily:
    Saying M193 is garbage is a bit much. Its far from the best tool, but two or three rounds in the chest at typical home defense ranges will provide good results. I would take it over a G19 with HST for that role. Again, there are way better options available.

The four rounds at the top of my list, currently: M855a1, BH 77TMK, Barnes 62 or 70, Fusion MSR. All for slightly different reasons. It would be nice if someone made a 5.56 75 Gold Dot. Would replace the Fusion 62, and the 77’s in my use.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Expanding bullets are clearly much better than fragmenting bullets for everything except for small critters. Fragmenting by itself is not reliable.

Feedback Score
    I had very good results from the IMI 55 grin bullet, I stayed with slow twist barrels and was in a position to hunt them down. I went through multiple barrels through the years but that 55 grain bullet out of my Israeli made commando was great.

Are modern bullets better, sure but if you have a 1 in10 or 1in 12 barrel and 55 grain FMJ bullets don't lose sleep over it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d2wing View Post
    Expanding bullets are clearly much better than fragmenting bullets for everything except for small critters. Fragmenting by itself is not reliable.
    Cool necropost. Adds a lot.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I had very good results from the IMI 55 grin bullet, I stayed with slow twist barrels and was in a position to hunt them down. I went through multiple barrels through the years but that 55 grain bullet out of my Israeli made commando was great.

Are modern bullets better, sure but if you have a 1 in10 or 1in 12 barrel and 55 grain FMJ bullets don't lose sleep over it.
    Ive heard Clint Smith say about the same, he has no prob with it. Under 300, I dont either.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not the twist being slow. M193 fragments equally inconsistently out of 14, 12, and 7 twist. Except 14 twist in subzero temperatures can tumble.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast