Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56: Fragmentation or Expansion?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't plan to engage 2 legged critters at ranges in excess of 200 yards, so minimum velocity for expansion isn't something that concerns me personally. I'd rather be confident that the bullet will stay together at close range and through thin barriers, than that it'll expand in a situation that will likely never occur. I've got better performing rifles than the 5.56 AR for instances where long range defense may be required....time to go fondle a 19.25" M21DMR.

I load 62 grain Barnes TAC-Xs that have in excess of 2200 fps at 200 yards. My research indicates that these bullets need 1900 fps to expand.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-10-18 at 15:18.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    THIS^^^^^

M855A1 is pretty much the magic bullet- fragments violently at even fairly low velocities with no neck yet penetrates barriers handily.
    I’m definitely behind the curve, but I think I read that M855A1 is quite a bit higher in pressure than other 5.56 rounds. Is that correct? And is it only available to the military?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Our sources indicate the pressure has been reduced to normal 5.56 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    I’m definitely behind the curve, but I think I read that M855A1 is quite a bit higher in pressure than other 5.56 rounds. Is that correct? And is it only available to the military?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's not available to civilians, it's replaced M855 in the Army and more recently Marines. It is slightly higher pressure, but the fears of causing extreme excess wear seem to be overblown and I can't tell any difference recoil wise. Here's some videos on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IvDPuVuho&t=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeNR4YDbwR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QItA83cPpS4
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the info.

So I’m guessing the projectile does not have a commercial equivalent? Who makes it?

*I will check out the videos, thanks!
    Last edited by khc3; 08-10-18 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the info.

So I’m guessing the projectile does not have a commercial equivalent? Who makes it?

*I will check out the videos, thanks!
    Apparently you can buy the projectile and handload rounds. The majority of youtube vids on it are handloaded and not actual mil factory loads.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    OT, but here's the M80A1 round (7.62) we use in our M240L's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PmUikWEGgw
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Theoretically fragmentation has the potential to cause more damage since you are increasing the chances of puncturing something important off the main wound track. You generally see larger permanent wound cavities in gel as well with fragmenting rounds.

But realistically either type of round seems to drop dudes equally well. Bonded soft points are generally more consistent, followed by copper solids then OTM and FMJ.

The exception is M855A1 which you can't easily get and 77gr TMK which is a non yaw dependent OTM. Probably the 2 best choices for fragmenting rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Theoretically fragmentation has the potential to cause more damage since you are increasing the chances of puncturing something important off the main wound track. You generally see larger permanent wound cavities in gel as well with fragmenting rounds.

But realistically either type of round seems to drop dudes equally well. Bonded soft points are generally more consistent, followed by copper solids then OTM and FMJ.

The exception is M855A1 which you can't easily get and 77gr TMK which is a non yaw dependent OTM. Probably the 2 best choices for fragmenting rounds.
    Why do you say that bonded soft points are better than copper solids? I’ve only heard good things about the TSX

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast