Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56: Fragmentation or Expansion?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    How so? Are you saying shot placement isn’t important? Because that’s what I was getting at. I do think people nick pick over shit when just about any 5.56 round will f**k someone up far more then any handgun round.
    Of course shot placement is important. The point I was making is that extensive testing has shown that different 5.56 rounds are far from similar and a 55 FMJ is simply nowhere as useful as a modern bonded or expanding bullet.

Feedback Score
    55gr M193 FMJ is still as effective at killing things as it has always been. Is it as good as modern loads? No, but then I never said that. But us it useless? No that’s is just ridiculous, and people who would say that don’t understand the ballistics of the round.

https://youtu.be/mOJdv38Fypg

https://youtu.be/pzicw0Q8HRg

https://youtu.be/2lkI36eUoy4

We are not dealing with pistol rounds here people but rifle rounds. So yes people overthink 5.56.
    Last edited by Glock9mm1990; 08-13-18 at 01:54.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    55gr M193 FMJ is still as effective at killing things as it has always been. Is it as good as modern loads? No, but then I never said that. But us it useless? No that’s is just ridiculous, and people who would say that don’t understand the ballistics of the round.

https://youtu.be/mOJdv38Fypg

https://youtu.be/pzicw0Q8HRg

https://youtu.be/2lkI36eUoy4

We are not dealing with pistol rounds here people but rifle rounds. So yes people overthink 5.56.
    M193 is garbage. Sure it can kill people with proper shot placement but so can .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    M193 is garbage. Sure it can kill people with proper shot placement but so can .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    M193 is garbage? Whatever dude. Many people who actually know what the hell they are talking about will disagree with that idiotic statement. You seem to be in a minority, an extream minority at that regardling M193. Dumbest shit I read all day.
    Last edited by Glock9mm1990; 08-13-18 at 04:28.

Feedback Score
    M193 is garbage? Whatever dude. Many people who actually know what the hell they are talking about will disagree with that idiotic statement. You seem to be in a minority, an extream minority at that regardling M193. Dumbest shit I read all day.
    M193 is garbage. Will it work? Yes. Are there much better options for minimal cost? Yes. Can it matter? Experts (fbi, mil, DocGKR) say yes.
    193 is inaccurate, offers poor barrier performance and inconsistent terminal ballistics, although I believe m855 is even worse. Its reliable, which is the best it has going for it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-13-18 at 07:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You need to do more reading then... Wake knows his business. You clearly don't.

When given the choice of the multitude of 5.56 rounds available to the general public (let alone the military) M193 should almost be anyone's LAST choice in American made ammo. Sierra's Match King 77 gr BPBT (MK262 from Black Hills, "Razor Core" from IMI, and available in a few other loadings on the shelf) is more accurate by an order of magnitude. Regular M855 displays better penetration for the most common "military ammo" available to the general public and the cost difference is negligible unless you're buying a huge volume of ammo. If you're looking for home defense ammo I'm a big fan of Speers 64gr Gold Dot soft point, which is massively better in all ways than M193, though not the market leader against auto glass...

Just where does M193 excel other than being cheap to buy and readily available?
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but where does MK318 fall in this discussion.

Agree with those before who say M193 is junk. For me it is relegated to shooting on my buddies farm.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    You need to do more reading then... Wake knows his business. You clearly don't.

When given the choice of the multitude of 5.56 rounds available to the general public (let alone the military) M193 should almost be anyone's LAST choice in American made ammo. Sierra's Match King 77 gr BPBT (MK262 from Black Hills, "Razor Core" from IMI, and available in a few other loadings on the shelf) is more accurate by an order of magnitude. Regular M855 displays better penetration for the most common "military ammo" available to the general public and the cost difference is negligible unless you're buying a huge volume of ammo. If you're looking for home defense ammo I'm a big fan of Speers 64gr Gold Dot soft point, which is massively better in all ways than M193, though not the market leader against auto glass...

Just where does M193 excel other than being cheap to buy and readily available?
    M193 has more reliable fragmentation against soft targets then M855 that is known to ice pick. M855 is still better against barriers for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I am concerned with engaging soft targets within 100 yards, I have the 64gr Speers in my magazines. Beyond that, I am probably going to have MK262 clones.

(And yes, I try to stock quite a variety of ammo in my collection. Don't get me wrong, I have some M193 for plinking at the range too. I don't hate cheap and readily available.)
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    M193 has more reliable fragmentation against soft targets then M855 that is known to ice pick. M855 is still better against barriers for sure.
    Saying M193 is better than M855 at fragmenting isn't saying a whole lot since Green Tip was well known to have craptastic terminal ballistics- hence why M855A1 is such a big deal.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast