Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the word on the new Magpul Bi-pod? UPDATE: ARRIVED

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Mine came in. I'm happy with it. Only 1 range trip so far but it works as I hoped it would. I went prone, muzzle end too low, adjusted bipod quickly and easily, problem solved. I'll probably grab another one.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I got my M-Lok version today, have not been to range with it.

I'd say its more of an improved Harris, not really a competitor to the Atlas other than price. The tilt/pan on the Magpul seems better than the Atlas though in the sense that tightening the knob has a linear effect on resistance to tilting and panning. My Atlas works it self loose when you pan side to side. The Magpul also feels like it gets much tighter too. Magpul's adjustment goes from 1-10 pretty linearly. Atlas goes from 6-7-?-6 if that makes any sense.

Comparing the height, the M-Lok Magpul is almost an inch longer (at the legs) than an Atlas with Larue QD mounted to a M-Lok pic rail. Effective height with legs deployed 90' and at the shortest setting is probably 1/4 or so. But Atlas gets you lower when legs are 45'.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine arrived on Saturday. Shame because I was already out in PA spending the weekend at a 1,000yard range. Would have been nice to try it out.

First impressions are rather lack luster I have to be honest. Currently I am running Harris S-BRMs on all my scoped guns. This bipod is more compact since it does not require a mount and without the Pod-Lock lever there is less to snag. The feet are longer which is nice. My 6-9 Harris doesn't offer enough elevation for the range I was at. The 1,000yard targets are up a hill and I couldn't get the muzzle high enough without putting something under the bipod. The feet are more grippy than the Harris as well which is a plus.

On the negative side however, it doesn't seem as stable. The legs wabble a bit in all directions when locked. The legs in the Harris don't move when open or closed. This really seems a bit annoying to me. The rifle is able to rock forward/backward.

I will reserve final judgement until I actually shoot it as that is what matters.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post

First impressions are rather lack luster I have to be honest.

On the negative side however, it doesn't seem as stable. The legs wabble a bit in all directions when locked. The legs in the Harris don't move when open or closed. This really seems a bit annoying to me. The rifle is able to rock forward/backward.
    I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about the amount of movement there is in the new Magpul bipod when locked. It seems to be a big gripe with a lot of people. I saw someone (I believe from Magpul) chime in on one of the threads and say they created loose tolerances to allow it to work if it gets grit and stuff in there, but it seems most people would rather have a tighter lockup. I usually load my bipod when shooting, so I’d be curious to hear if there were any movement issues when the bipod is loaded.

For PRS and long range shooting, I have two Harris bipods, an Atlas, and an Evo, and they are all great. I was hoping this new Magpul bipod could be a good ‘less expensive’ option similar to the Atlas style, but after reading I will probably wait until they come out with a second gen version…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about the amount of movement there is in the new Magpul bipod when locked. It seems to be a big gripe with a lot of people. I saw someone (I believe from Magpul) chime in on one of the threads and say they created loose tolerances to allow it to work if it gets grit and stuff in there, but it seems most people would rather have a tighter lockup. I usually load my bipod when shooting, so I’d be curious to hear if there were any movement issues when the bipod is loaded.

For PRS and long range shooting, I have two Harris bipods, an Atlas, and an Evo, and they are all great. I was hoping this new Magpul bipod could be a good ‘less expensive’ option similar to the Atlas style, but after reading I will probably wait until they come out with a second gen version…
    I got behind the gun in my living room to see how it feels. Since the legs wobble in multiple axis, it is important set the bipod right. Imagine that the X-axis is inline with the bore, and Y-axis in perpendicular to the bore. The bipod wobbles in both. In order to eliminate the wobble in the Y-axis you have to splay out the legs. What I mean by that is if you place the rifle down and the legs are hanging, they will not be at their widest range of motion. This causes the wobble in the y-axis. You have to grab one, and pull it apart. Then the movement is limited to nearly zero. When you load the bipod, instability in the x-axis does go away.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Rem 700 .308/Hunter stock.
    Replaced a Harris S-BRM with the Magpul.

Prefer the Magpul fore/aft leg movement. Preloading eliminates bipod jump that I suffered with the stiff-legged Harris. Prefer the tilt friction control of the Magpul over the Alpha Bravo lever I used with the Harris. The Harris went from too tight to too loose with the least little adjustment. When pan is locked there is still free L/R movement via leg mechanism slop when at rest, but when preload is applied there is no free movement even if you don't "splay the legs". Everything about leg movement on the Magpul works for me. For those who want a stiff bipod absent preload, best stick with the Harris.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 08-21-18 at 17:07.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123