Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR suppressed charging handle?

Feedback Score

SBR suppressed charging handle?

Any suggestions for a charging handle that is reasonable for deflecting gases on a SBR? 12.5" barrel with a AEM-5 suppressor the continuous
    fire is a eye watering experience Radian's are a little pricey as are Geissele. Figure someone here might point me in the right direction. BCM
    maybe?
    TIA Greg

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you considered the BRT gas tubes? Not sure if you have an over-gassing situation, but if you do, the tubes can both smooth out the cycle and reduce the gas too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Have you considered the BRT gas tubes? Not sure if you have an over-gassing situation, but if you do, the tubes can both smooth out the cycle and reduce the gas too.
    This is the better answer, anything else is mitigation at your nose/eyes. I've used the BCM Mod 4 and Geissele Airborne CH's and while they're maybe better than a mil-spec, all they're doing is redirecting gas and depending on wind or lack of, you're still gonna get some. I've even tried the old RTV sealant trick, which I actually think is worse, unless you can figure out a way to seal off the entire back end of the receiver.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I'll check those out.

Feedback Score
    I run Griffin SNACH charging handles which redirect gases. Not sure how much it helps as I haven't shot suppressed with a mil-spec handle but I have no complaints with gas hitting me in the face on either of the rifles I run suppressed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    This. Follow Mark’s advice. Afterwards, if you still want a new charging handle, a few buddies and I passed around a few brands of gas-mitigating charging handles and concluded the PRI Gas Buster was best. Which is great, because I like their latch. But, choke that port down first.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Using a special charging handle to reduce gas to face is a bit of a band-aid, as it does nothing to address the source of the problem.

This is much the same deal as adding excessive buffer mass to slow down cycling of an over gassed upper.

When the gas drive is set correctly, normal charging handles and normal buffer setups work great.

The upper will run at normal cyclic speeds and have virtually no gas to face.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you are a little bit handy and can do the BRT, go for it. It is the best solution. I have them on AR15/10 rifles.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The brt tube is amazing and highly recommended.
    That said, the bcm ch does help oper stock, but wind angle can negate that. I want to try a radian next but no experience yet.

Feedback Score
    Classic Firearms had a video on this a couple of months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JiECb-cNik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast