Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone loading 6.5 Creed for a gas gun?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Anyone loading 6.5 Creed for a gas gun?

Asking for a friend..
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I just started working on loads for both my 6.5mm Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor.

Don't know if I can provide much info or help, but I can try.
    illegitimis non carborundum

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yes sir.

Dumb luck perhaps, but I tried the same ammo I load for bolt guns- it shot just under MOA.
    I’ve only shot to 600 with it, but it was still just under MOA.
    Hornady brass, brass trimmed to 2.10”, CCI BR2, 140 ELD-M, COAL 2.815”.
    Tried both RL16 and 17. Went with RL16 because of it’s reported temperature stability, we have extremes of temperature here. Loading 41.8 gr, SDs are 15+-.
    Not a hot load, velocity is 2730 FPS from 22” barrel.

Hope it works out for your friend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks. We might be experimenting with a load/barrel soon.... just want to get any tips that we can.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We have H4350, which is supposed to be good 6.5 powder, so I hear.

Mark, Don said he is loading 40 grains H4350 , FGGM primers , 140 ELD , Horndog brass.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-11-18 at 18:23.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    4350 appears to be the “go to” powder for 6.5 PB.
    The load you referenced seems a bit low from all I’ve read.
    Here’s sample link: http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=7369.0

Feedback Score
    I just did some ladder testing for my Aero based 6.5 Creedmoor. This is from a 22" Rainier Ultramatch barrel with a rifle length gas system and SLR Sentry 9 adjustable gas block.

I worked up from the middle of the charge range to the max charge published in the Hornady manual for H4350 using a 147gr ELD Match. Actually, I went .1 grain over the max. Charges were 38.6gr - 40.4gr. Primers I used were CCI 200's.The brass was twice fired Hornady sized with the shoulder being bumped back .004. The cases were trimmed to 1.910 and projectiles seated for a COAL of 2.795. I haven't checked the distance to the lands yet. This was just looking for the starting group. As charge weights increased, there was some flattening of primers and some slight cratering. No swipes were encountered. I use a standard 308 bolt, not one of the HP offerings. Maybe I'll change it out at some point.

For my rifle, the 38.6gr produced the smallest group. I went ahead and loaded up some more tests using 38.6gr to test repeatability.

Performance wasn't bad. Average velocity was 2543 fps. Brass and primers were all in good shape. Given the atmospherics (93° F/59% H, 30.02 in Hg ) JBM showed max range at just below 1400 yds. SD was a little high, but I'm thinking the rounds were getting heated in the chamber. My reasoning was there was an increase in velocity when I took longer to take following shots. I have some more work to do with this load. I am thinking of trying some of the Alliant powders since some have posted interesting results. Bolt gun may be able to mess with more and wring some more out of it.

These are the results:

target_image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JGault; 08-13-18 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It boggles my mind how the ballistics of the 6.5 are so impressive. How these low velocities shoot so far. I mean 2500 fps range and hitting 1,400 range. I guess my 300 would go a mile, I just dont have a mile to shoot it.

gaijin, thanks for the link, interesting link. With lot variation in powders, its all about a decent starting point and working up. We will let you know how it turns out next week.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Agreed. 6mm Creedmoor looks promising too. Smallest group on the ladder was produced using 1 gr more powder than the 6.5 load. This pushed a 108 ELD Match around 500 fps faster. Ballistics for it with the same conditions (both shot within an hour of each other) show it with similar distances. Rifle is almost the same configuration.

I'll do repeatability tests on it next range trip, but I'll tweak that powder charge a little too see if the group comes in a little more. It was in sub moa at 100, but not as tight as the 6.5.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most of what I have seen is H4340 (around 39 grains) under a 140 ELD Match using CCI BR primers. I have a bunch of the Hornady Match factory ammo but once shot up going to run my own loads.

Good thread here though, would like to see some real wolrld results posted.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast