Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone loading 6.5 Creed for a gas gun?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear bought a bunch of Hornady ammo for the brass too. We'll be shooting both factory and handloads soon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Factory Hornady shot lights out for me but was slow.
    Bought some initially for the brass.

Look forward to your results.

Feedback Score
    I've shot several hundred factory Hornady rounds. It all shot pretty well. Velocities were around the same as my loads or sometimes a little higher by 25-40 fps faster.

The thing I noticed was primer craters. Some would have bad ones and others none. This was the same for Hunter and/or Match. The American Gunner by Hornady has been very consistent and shot well. It is 140 gr BTHP.

The same primer results occurred with factory ammo in my 6mm Creedmoor.

I have to find it again, but I think RL16, RL17 and RL26 have been used. I could be wrong on the RL26 though, I believe most of the loads were used in bolt guns. From what I remember, RL17 is not as temperature stable as H4350.
    illegitimis non carborundum

Feedback Score
    So, at 100 yrds, if one has a load that runs a leisurely pace but hits in the .3 MOA group size, and another load that is a rocket but hits .6 MOA, which is the preferred load for the 1,000 yd shot?

Or, stated another way, should one concede 3 inches of group size at 1,000 yds to save 20+/- inches of wind deflection or elevation?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    So, at 100 yrds, if one has a load that runs a leisurely pace but hits in the .3 MOA group size, and another load that is a rocket but hits .6 MOA, which is the preferred load for the 1,000 yd shot?

Or, stated another way, should one concede 3 inches of group size at 1,000 yds to save 20+/- inches of wind deflection or elevation?
    We would. The hotter the berry, the sweeter the juice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I took the smaller group. The change in velocity in my testing was around 60 fps min to max charge of my testing range. Even the change in velocity for the full range of charge weights is 300 fps.

Max effective distance for my lower load is still plenty far for me. The increase in velocity will have more energy at distance, but the lower charge beats the brass less as well as the weapon itself.

I won't mention the shooter, I'm old and don't care for recoil... but in all reality any of the 6's I have aren't heavy on recoil.

Which to choose is up to the shooter. I'm happy with the performance of the charge I went with for the reasons I've listed. It's preference, a person's choice for them is not right or wrong and I'm sure my choice is not right or wrong for me. Although... if you asked my a wife I'm sure ya'll can guess what she'd say.

20180814_124629.jpg
    Last edited by JGault; 08-14-18 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm interested in playing with this round. We've usually had good luck with a hot load also being pretty accurate.

I do have to admit that our house .223 77 gr target load is not very hot.... so we'll see what Pappa's barrel wants/likes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm interested in playing with this round. We've usually had good luck with a hot load also being pretty accurate.

I do have to admit that our house .223 77 gr target load is not very hot.... so we'll see what Pappa's barrel wants/likes.
    Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have 100 rounds of premium 143 ELD' , factory fodder. I'm going to buy a can of the American gunner for mass reloading brass.

Mid south , or I should say I doubled ordered my bullets , so I have about 2 years of bullets. 140 and 143 ELD's.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I'm just about ready to work some loads up for my bolt gun (browning X-bolt). Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X was .60 moa out of the box for me. Also tried the cheapo S&B 140 FMJ which was around moa. I'm curious if the ELD-X or ELD-M stuff feeds well out of the magazine for you semi-auto guys at factory SAAMI seating depth. My mag can fit up to 2.889 COAL which also happens to be where it touches the lands. ELD-X shot fantastic with the jump from 2.808 factory COAL though.

Next on the list to try is American Gunner 140gr and 147gr ELD-M.

I may be crazy, but I love ball powder for ease of measurement. So Ramshot hunter is going to be my first attempted powder.
    Also H4350 is nearly unobtanium locally. Too many 6.5creed bros around here.
    Last edited by B52U; 08-14-18 at 16:46.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast