Thread: New Middy Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

New Middy Build

I'll start with what many, myself included, consider the heart of a build, the barrel. Awhile back I found a deal on some 2008-2009 special order Noveske Afghan barrels, Mod0 chamber, .076 gas port, hand lapped 250 times. All of these were were verified by Tim O'Toole at Noveske Firearms.
    I also found some pretty nice receiver sets, 7075 T6 billet with tensioning screws and very flared mag well openings. Overall pretty nice sets and all mil spec LPKs parts fit with no issues so the tolerances seem to be within mil-spec and the barrel journal (?) remind me of Bcm in that they're a very tight fit. They have very nice machining with no tools marks present anywhere. The only thing I don't like is that the finish seems to be a bit thin. It's a beautiful and deep black though. So these are the barrel and receiver sets I used, very happy.
    So beginning at the stock is a BCM unit, because I had it on hand and it's a real decent stick and very easy and fast to adjust, very bought too I hear. Holding that is a 7075 T6 billet 11 position extension with an anti-tilt feature, steel castle nut and a BCM qd endplates. I used a CMMG LPK and BAD Titanium pin set and went with an ALG ACT mil-spec trigger from BCM. I really like those, very smooth mil-spec triggers and I have quite a few of them and have yet to get one I don't like. One is particularly nice, nicer than the others. I used a Magpul MOE K2+ and they're my new favorite grip, but, I've yet to grip a MIAD and if it's thicker I'll probably switch to those but the K2+ with it's girth, trippy surface and deep indent in the backstrap just feels great in my hand, good storage too. Completing the back half is a NiB BCG from PSA ( on sale for $60 ,that's why) and a BCM Mod4 medium latch. Y'all probably will eventually notice that I like this CH, about all I use, all I need really. I'm happy with the BCG so far. It seems well machined and the finish is awesome. Easy to clean (wipe off) and is slick as owl $#!+ and the extractor is nice and sharp and has the upgraded spring and O-ring.
    Upfront is the aforementioned Noveske Afghan, Geissele SuperGas Block, SS gas tube and at the end of the barrel is a VG6 Epsilon brake. My first experience with it and WOW! I was blown away by this thing. Totally mitigates recoil and the muzzle rise was damn near non-existent, yeah it's a hybrid deal with gas vents on the top ( as I'm sure you all know). I don't know about it's flash suppression because I have only fired this during daylight hours. I don't hold out a lit of hope that it will do all three great but this thing has recoil and muzzle rise taken care of.
    Now, for my shame moment. For now, only temporarily, I'm using a Guntec m-lok rail. Now, so far no problems at all. It not much bigger around than the barrel, very very narrow in other words, and it weighs just a little over nothing which is a great thing too with the medium profile Afghan. It does help with accelerated cooling with the extreme openness of the design, it only has 3 m-lok slots at the forward end of the rail at the 3, 6 and 9 O'clock positions. I am liking the shape of this rail having soft angles, sort of rounded cross sectional shape. So, it's comfortable, very lite, helps cooling so what could be wrong with this $50 winder rail? The barrel nut is aluminum and the finish sucks, sorry but it does. It mounts to this aluminum barrel nut with 6 screws again at the 3,6, and 9 positions and one of the screw heads cracked during tightening. No, I didn't have a 4' cheater bar on it, it came with a crack already in it. They look MIM or something cheap. Also the holes in the rail itself through which they pass are quite big. The rail body is made of very,very thin aluminum and couple that with the aluminum barrel nut and the large holes, well, I don't see this rail requiring much torsional force to bend, break or come out of alignment. In other words, it is suited only for a (maybe) range toy. Eventually it will be replaced with a MI Combat rail or a Hodge or Mega . That's my hope anyway.
    I haven't fired it for accuracy yet. I'm sorry but I HAD to do a break-in on this barrel just for peace of mind. I know there's a big back and forth about barrel break-ins with some for, some against and others who don't give a damn. If the manufacturer recommends one, I'll follow they're directions and Tim O'Toole sent me their recommendations and I followed them. I will say this, Noveskes break-in is fairly short and sweet so I didn't feel I was wasting too much of the barrel life by doing it and I just wanted to give it the best chance I could. I will say this, it cleaned very, very fast and very easily too. So I guess I did something right. I didn't go out and buy all of the KG and Tetra chemicals they recommend though. I like the stuff I use.
    Anyway, gonna take it out again this weekend and see what I can see as far as accuracy goes. I hope it likes 77gr Sms and Accurate 2520.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillB; 08-13-18 at 19:08.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    AhHa!! I have to use a hosting service!

That's another build. Not that anyone's interested. ;-)
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

Iron Rakkasans

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Why did you go with a milspec trigger? Just wondering! I just built a lower with the PSA enhanced trigger. I polished it first, went with the Wolff trigger spring/and disconnector(?) spring. I really need to get a trigger gauge.

That a beautiful carbine!!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I don't know, I like them. They're not a Geissele but don't cost $200 a pop either. I have my share of Geissele triggers too but really, the ALG ACT triggers are really nice for a mil spec costing $60. If you've not tried one, give one a whirl. They do not need any polishing, they are a bit heavy but within weight, they're very clean, smooth and have a pretty short reset. They're just a great trigger for the money.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    I'm super interested in what the 77 SMK will do, those Noveske barrels have a rep of being solid performers. Post a few pics if you get some good 5 or 10 shot groups.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I think you got scammed on that Noveske barrel. Check this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...hlight=noveske. Start on page 7, post 266 and read.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phidelt208 View Post
    I'm super interested in what the 77 SMK will do, those Noveske barrels have a rep of being solid performers. Post a few pics if you get some good 5 or 10 shot groups.
    LOL never mind, I just noticed you're the guy that posted that too! Any way, I still think you got scammed on that barrel.