G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob owner seeks guidance re: making my Colt range-ready.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally when I get a new AR I just wipe down the chamber and BCG with a microfiber clothe and then apply oil to BCG and Chamber. I like metal on metal to be separated by oil, probably just something I do from mechanic/car work. I donít like metal on metal moving parts. Personally donít clean the barrel on a new rifle, it canít hurt though.

Usually ARís seem to come with this new factory oil on everything. I donít know what it is but it smells the same even when I buy ARís from different manufactures. I guess its some anti corrosion/rust type lubricant.

Ultimately itíd be fine right out of the box.

As some others have suggested iíd pop open that Colt owners manual and take some time to read their directions on cleaning the rifle. Some manuals suggest breaking down entire BCG for cleaning but I find this to be a bit much for moderate range use, hell, what do I know though. I think thorough cleaning is best done at higher round counts, 500, 1000, etc, I donít know though

Feedback Score
    I run a patch down barrel. Lube Bcg and shoot it like ya stole it.

I did have an uncle touch off a brand new Weatherby 30-378 wrath mag. The barrel had sumthn in it. Turned it into a blossomed barrel.

Feedback Score
    I overclean new guns, but that's just me. I view the oily substance as more of a preservative than a lubricant, though I'm sure it works well enough for a maiden range trip. I run a patch with a couple drops of whatever (Hoppe's/CLP/Ballistol) down the bore then follow with a dry patch. I make sure that factory oil is wiped clean off the inside of the receiver, hammer, and BCG. I even pop the extractor pin out and clean under there.

Like I said, overkill, but it can't hurt. Your Colt will likely work if you don't clean it at all before the first trip, but why treat it like that?

Oh, and definitely don't do anything to the gas tube.

Feedback Score
    Shoot the bloody thing and don't worry. Firearms are not at all complex, shooting and maintaining them is easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12