Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 3rd Reich era k98

Feedback Score

Looking for 3rd Reich era k98

I've been on gunbroker lately looking for a Nazi era k98 and I'm seeing prices from around $700 - $6000. All of them say they retain the the markings so I'm wondering if some manufacturers are more desirable or what? They all seem to be in good shape, just wondering if anyone is knowledgeable on these. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd check out k98kforum.com for that info. They know their stuff and are quick to respond. I lucked up and didn't know what I was buying when a friend wanted to sell guns he received from family. He sold me a war bring back BNZ 44. The BNZ's were built in the Styer factory I believe. Supposedly the regular army and SS were supplied with rifles from that factory. Not sure if mine is an SS rifle or not. The guys at k98k seemed to think so. It's a "bolt mismatch" (the rifle is numbers matching except for the bolt) though. They told me that this was common and I was lucky that it's not a russian capture or a rifle that a vet decided to modify into a hunting rifle when he got back home. Like I said, I was lucky, mine is in fantastic shape and shoots great.

The DOU 45 seems to be a desirable rifle.

Good luck with our search!! Post some pics when you find it.

BNZ44 (14).jpg

BNZ44 (15).jpg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
    I've been on gunbroker lately looking for a Nazi era k98 and I'm seeing prices from around $700 - $6000. All of them say they retain the the markings so I'm wondering if some manufacturers are more desirable or what? They all seem to be in good shape, just wondering if anyone is knowledgeable on these. Thanks in advance.

In general....

Rifles at the upper end of that price range are going to be matching collector grade pieces.

Rifles less than $2k are not going to be matching. Be highly suspect if it is advertised as such and the price is below $2k.

If you are looking for collector grade, expect the seller to provide 40-50 pictures showing every marking, including markings below the wood line. Expect the seller to prove the absence of a duffle cut. Look for original finish.

Do not bid if the seller doesn’t have a picture of every surface, if looking for collector grade.

Always, always pay with a credit card. I dispute charges on guns I buy if they show up and are not matching collector grade after being advertised as such.

This area of gun buying is full of sellers who are liars. It is also full of sellers who are well meaning, but ignorant of every little detail that separates a $700 gun from a $4000 gun.

Matching collector grade means:

1. All serial numbers match.
    2. The rifle has never been rebuilt or refinished.
    3. The wood has never been sanded or repaired or refinished.

Basically the rifle has never been modified after being built.
    Last edited by scottryan; 08-15-18 at 17:07.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    http://www.mauser.org/no-more-nazis/

You could always get on their waiting list.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    If you just want an old Mauser that retains the markings, look for Norwegian Mausers rechambered in .30-06. Common as dirt, cheap as dirt, the only thing they etched out was the serial number and replaced it with their own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    http://www.mauser.org/no-more-nazis/

You could always get on their waiting list.
    That place is nothing but a scam

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just as a data point I found my son a Nazi era k98 that'd been sporterized with brite bore, decent bluing, no pitting above or below the stock, but of course they sporterized stock. Had not been hacked too much other than the addition of a Williams peep sight. Hass all the waffenampts, etc.

Little local shop had been asking $400 for it and I ended up buying it for $315 out the door.

No collector value to a Mauser purist, but a great piece of history and fun rifle in its own right.

One of our favorite rifles is a Mauser Spanish Calvary carbine in 7x57. I think I paid $165 for it. I shoot low pressure blooper loads (16g 2400 universal service rifle load) in it and it's accurate enough that we regularly shoot golf balls off hand at 25 yards. I've started using it to teach new shooters instead of 22s and they seem to do better. German made, will never be valuable. But has pretty wood, full stock, European hunting rifle lines.

I'm really not that interested in the same Mausers that a purist collector would be. To me some of the nice Sporteriztions are classic and desirable in their own right. I'm not talking about the butchered ones, but the ones that took a nice rifle and modernized it a little bit.

They are certainly more fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    double post
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-17-18 at 11:25.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    That place is nothing but a scam

Really. Didn't know that.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Really. Didn't know that.
    They're known to hack up rifles in order to make them appear like new or unissued. Including force matching and stock sanding. Then charging a premium for a "rare find in a European warehouse"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast