Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm NATO equiv load?

Feedback Score
    As I said in the other thread. I carry in the USA hollowpoints in my pistol. I also carry in some situations NATO spec or hotter ball ammo, in my backup mags.

I also have said many times what ammo you stuff in your pistol will have ZERO outcome on a regular USA style gun fight. Your situational awareness and tactics matter more.

The best hollowpoint will not save you if you get caught flat footed in a gun fight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    In what scenario is that crappy load optimal? NATO isn't that hot, and the bullet (from my readings) has a reputation for just zipping through the enemy and not dropping him.
    THIS^....but aside from that..CAN you even reload this cheaper than what Factory ammo Winchester NATO is being sold for? Its freakin DIRT CHEAP now..PSA had 1000 rounds for $179 SHIPPED.
    Its all I use at the range- and matches POA with the 124 +P HST load I carry, +P Gold Dots, too.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 08-28-18 at 06:36.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    I believe the poster you are referring to comes from a country that has been at war since it’s inception.
    I wasn’t referring to yoni. My bad if the op was referring to his posts.

I was referring to another poster in the thread that was pretty convinced that hard cast type and fmj are the best self defense rounds.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Thank you for the recipes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    Thank you for the recipes.
    Aside from all the above on the wisdom of choosing 9mm ball as the optimal self defense load, you have your work cut out for you if you're looking for THE 9mm NATO equivalent load.

When I retired from the military a couple of years ago, there were 22 different NATO M-C MOPI (Manual of Proof and Inspection) approved loadings for 9mm. Unless my memory fails me, there were also 22 different MOPI loads for 5.56, and 47 different loads for 7.62

You could argue that the load that is NATO's reference ammuntion for MOPI standards testing is the closest to the theoretical one true NATO 9mm load. For now, the Canadian 9mm ammunition is the NATO reference ammunition for that MOPI standards testing. The MOPI standard for 9mm specifies a maximum service pressure of 36,550 psi. Canadian 9mm ball drives a 115 grain bullet at 1250 fps, with an extreme spread at 25 meters of no more than 3".

So there's one loading that you can work towards if you're stuck on it.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Thank you for a very informative and useful post. I can certainly use the information about the reference load you provided to build a training load from my stock of components.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I wanted to do this, what I'd do is get a box of Winchester NATO Q4318 and chrono it.

Then go out and get you some AA5 powder or equivalent, and some 124 grain FMJ loads, and get to work.

In no time you should be able to duplicate Q4318 performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12