Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
Well i guess I’m on a different side than some folks here. But taking someone’s life seems wrong when the items are covered by insurance, nobody’s life is in danger and you have a video tape recording the whole thing.

Nobody shouldve lost their life in this situation. Nobody’s life was in danger.

Showing up to serve out your own justice Judge Dredd style seems a little excessive over a broken window and a few items. Record the whole thing, make a good witness and see him get locked up.

I don’t see how you can justify this and get off as the store owner. You don’t shoot someone in the back running away, because the threat is gone. I feel the same concept applies here, there was no life or death threat.
Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
Yeah, that's about where I am. This store owner could have avoided the lethal threat to himself if he'd just let the cops, whom he'd already called, show up and do their job. I have no problem with lethal force in self-defense. Property defense...I'm not on board. Having said that, I won't lose any sleep over a felon-in-progress reaping the whirlwind. It seems like, in a stand-your-ground state, that's something a burglar ought to consider as part of his pre-mission planning.

In a stand-your-ground state, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
THIS^^. The police had already been called and were on their way. Why not be a good witness at this point and let the police grab the guy? Especially if the perp wasn't armed, why the need to kill him as he walks out? Don't get me wrong, i'm not losing any sleep over this criminal either, just seems like a lot of extra headache and legal fees for the business owner when he could have let the police handle it.