Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Store owner shoots robber, with a twist

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Well i guess I’m on a different side than some folks here. But taking someone’s life seems wrong when the items are covered by insurance, nobody’s life is in danger and you have a video tape recording the whole thing.

Nobody shouldve lost their life in this situation. Nobody’s life was in danger.

Showing up to serve out your own justice Judge Dredd style seems a little excessive over a broken window and a few items. Record the whole thing, make a good witness and see him get locked up.

I don’t see how you can justify this and get off as the store owner. You don’t shoot someone in the back running away, because the threat is gone. I feel the same concept applies here, there was no life or death threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yeah, that's about where I am. This store owner could have avoided the lethal threat to himself if he'd just let the cops, whom he'd already called, show up and do their job. I have no problem with lethal force in self-defense. Property defense...I'm not on board. Having said that, I won't lose any sleep over a felon-in-progress reaping the whirlwind. It seems like, in a stand-your-ground state, that's something a burglar ought to consider as part of his pre-mission planning.

In a stand-your-ground state, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    THIS^^. The police had already been called and were on their way. Why not be a good witness at this point and let the police grab the guy? Especially if the perp wasn't armed, why the need to kill him as he walks out? Don't get me wrong, i'm not losing any sleep over this criminal either, just seems like a lot of extra headache and legal fees for the business owner when he could have let the police handle it.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Well i guess I’m on a different side than some folks here. But taking someone’s life seems wrong when the items are covered by insurance, nobody’s life is in danger and you have a video tape recording the whole thing.

Nobody shouldve lost their life in this situation. Nobody’s life was in danger.

Showing up to serve out your own justice Judge Dredd style seems a little excessive over a broken window and a few items. Record the whole thing, make a good witness and see him get locked up.

I don’t see how you can justify this and get off as the store owner. You don’t shoot someone in the back running away, because the threat is gone. I feel the same concept applies here, there was no life or death threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is a real question, not trolling. The cops do so why can't we?

There are many states that have a fleeing felon law. It needs to apply to all.

We can did it here: http://nation.time.com/2013/06/13/wh...kill-in-texas/
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    See

Tennessee v Gardner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Store owner shoots robber, with a twist

Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

I don’t believe cops are above the law, and even their shootings have to be justified (ideally), I just don’t see in this case how it was justified when there was no imitate threat of danger.

I believe there a line between killing someone and murdering someone. Killing can be justified, and murder can’t. I’m not sure where this case is though.

Plus how many people are ready to pay for defense attorneys when PDs have a team of lawyers ready to go on the drop of a dime.

I believe in defending yourself with all means necessary, but the guys with the lawyers to back their actions were already on the way. I think the store owner may have made a mess for himself.

Even if they don’t charge this guy, what if the family comes after him with a wrongful death suit.

All I’m saying is there was plenty of reasons in this situation just to sit back and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 08-13-18 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    See

Tennessee v Gardner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He was not LEO.

Here in Texas citizens are authorized to use deadly force in Defence of life or property. So it would be a good shoot.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-c...sect-9-32.html
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So both the Police and the Store Owner got the alarm at the same time. The Store Owner calls 911 and then heads toward his store, more than likely alerting the 911 Dispatcher that he was on the way.
    With all of that, the Store Owner gets there first. I would imagine he was afraid when he understood the criminal was still inside the store.
    So with all of that, I wouldn't agree that shooting the guy was a good thing to do, but it was pretty much a series of events that went sideways on the guy.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don't even care, and barring some slam dunk claim by the shooter seems like an easy deadlocked jury.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

Up until 1985 a few states had fleeing felon laws that allowed officers to use deadly force to apprehended any fleeing felon - even non-violent ones. By the time the SCOTUS decided the case of Tennessee v. Garner in 1985 most larger agencies and most states had adopted more stringent standards.

Today before an officer can use lethal force to apprehend someone trying to defeat an arrest by resistance or escape, the officer has to reasonably believe that they are faced with a force likely to cause death or great bodily harm, or have probable cause to believe the person has committed a crime involving the infliction, or threatened infliction of serious physical harm, or is using a weapon to facilitate escape and will be a continued threat unless arrested without delay.

So the police, in many cases must be more cerebral and restrained than citizens when using force. Probably as it should be in a Nation of Law.

Regarding your link - well, Texas. Need I say more.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-13-18 at 20:32.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs down

CRUCIFY HIM! CRUCIFY HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!

I haven't been able to sleep since this senseless crime, I keep waking in cold sweats and experiencing urinary incontinence! If we would just beat our handguns into plowshares, and our fully semi-automatic assault rifles into pruninghooks for Christ's sake this poor, young, aspiring horticulturist would still be here curing cancer and shit.

Damn this bourgeoisie business owner and his privileged CONUS kill card to the deepest blackest pit of H E L L !

#OneLess
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123