Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Feedback Score

Gloves

I'm not very happy with a pair of Hatch Operator Shorty gloves. The index finger above the knuckles is already fraying. My requirements were for a cut resistant and heat resistant glove. I've only owned them for 2 months and surprised that they are already falling apart. What are you guys using? Recommendations please?
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    I have been very happy with my Hellstorm SOLAG's (one of the few things from Blackhawk I like) in the past. My current pair is almost two years old. They are the coyote SOLAGS that are nomex. They have held up through numerous classes, etc. I also have a pair of Oakleys, but I havent used them enough to comment on them really.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I view gloves as a disposable item.

The heaviest duty gloves I've used are the SWMS Friction fighter gloves. But I find them too warm to use in theatre the majority of the time.
    I prefer to use flight gloves and accept they are not slash resistant.

The PX carries a number of types - and they are about $25 ea. so going thru a par every week or two is not a big deal - the cost of doing the business.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Close fitting sueded deerskin gloves. Old school still works in some cases.

Feedback Score

Hatch Shorty

For $70/pair, I would expect more than 8 sessions at the range doing speed clears . Even my $40 mountain biking gloves faired 3 seasons of hard crashing.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    I have tried the Blackhawk SOLAG gloves and felt that they were way too thick in the palm and in the fingers. I could NOT feel the weapon due to excess padding. I typically use any number of brands of flight gloves. They are thin which allow full feeling of the weapon, Nomex, and typically fairly cheap. For a shorter glove I am now trying the new 5.11 TAC-AK operator glove. It is the shorter style of glove. This glove is extremely comfortable, well designed, and very durable. This is a great glove! So far the construction has held up very well! This is what is advertised by 5.11:

5.11 TAC-AK Tactical Application Glove w/Kevlar
    The Tac-AK glove features a Kevlar® and leather construction. Kevlar® provides extra protection from cuts and scratches. A natural cow leather palm, and gussets allow breath-ability and natural fit. Leather grip pads, pull tab, and hook-and-loop closure at the wrist. TacticalTouch™ fingertips provide excellent dexterity and fine-motor control. Leather knuckle pad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo58
    For $70/pair, I would expect more than 8 sessions at the range doing speed clears . Even my $40 mountain biking gloves faired 3 seasons of hard crashing.
    That's what you get with today's "Made In China" world. I called up Hatch about a year ago to ask them about their gloves and was all set to order until I asked if they were made domestically. "No, they're made in China." the nice lady replied. No thanks.

Feedback Score
    The 5.11 TAC-AK are MADE IN THE USA!!!

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for a tactical-style glove, WileyX (the eyewear people) has come out with a pretty nifty glove that includes hard "armor" over the knuckles. I haven't used them long enough to determine wear characteristics, but they look very well made, and well designed too.

See here for infor and pics: GMT LINK

Feedback Score

Hatch SOG Operator "Shorty"

I took the gloves back to the retailer and he replaced them, no questions asked. I'll give them another go. The one thing that I liked about them when I first found them was the suppleness of the kangaroo skin. I know kangaroo is tough because that's what my motorcycle gloves were made of (highly abrasion resistant). Thanks for the responses because they sure give me options for the future. I like to have several pairs on hand anyways (pardon the pun). I've always had an eye on those Blackhawk Hellstorm SOLAG w/kevlar and I remember reading some sizing tips about them because they fit differently than expected (but I can't find the notes anywhere on the site). The Wiley X look about right too. They remind me of the Oakleys. I don't know if I like the carbon, plastic or fiberglass inserts that they appear to have over the knuckles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast