Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sionics Extreme Reduced Gas Port Barrel, Range Report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Sionics Extreme Reduced Gas Port Barrel, Range Report

As many of you know, Sionics is now making a True suppressor ready barrel. Mark did a measurement of the port and it looks to be in the 062 range. I have two SBR's and ran them side by side. Both have A5 and LMT enhanced carriers. Both have Vltor monolithic uppers and AAC M4-2K cans. The first runs with the original 11.5 RGP barrel by Sionics, it runs very well and throws the brass slightly forward in the 2-2:30 range. A little hot as one would expect with the AAC can and all. Runs 100% flawless, no complaints.

Gun two with ERGP Sionics barrel and it ran as would be expected, a little smoother. Tossing brass in the 3-3:30 range and a bit softer. I was most impressed with this barrel. It is not supposed to run ammo without a can but we were able to run Blackhills and "Mark-hills" loads getting lock-back some of the time but not all the time. Also, the gun was cleaned and freshly greased. Which tells me this barrel is ported perfectly to run a can. I don't want a barrel that runs so soft it becomes unreliable at anytime under any condition. I was a bit worried it would shoot great at the expense of reliability, not going to be the case.

If you are going too run your SBR suppressed, and you want a 11.5 barrel, this is one great option. I honestly wished my other 11.5 was the newer barrel. I don't think I would call it Extreme RGP barrel, I would call it the perfect GP barrel. Its ideal not extreme.

We were busy running a new load of 178 ELD's for the LMT MWS, so we didn't give it as much time as we will next week, running more types of ammo and maybe some lowers without A5 and enhanced carriers. More data to follow, and any request let us know. Also, we will do some accuracy testing for shits and giggles. Even thought I think 2 to 3 MOA is fine for a 11.5 SBR, I always like better.

Again, more data to follow.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-12-18 at 20:44.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd love to see how it shoots the Markm house loads. I've come to use them as a metric of performance for almost any 223/5.56 rifle I try. I even keep a spare bag of the 69gr loads in my range bag in case a buddy is having trouble and wants me to shoot good ammo through his rifle.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I'd love to see how it shoots the Markm house loads. I've come to use them as a metric of performance for almost any 223/5.56 rifle I try. I even keep a spare bag of the 69gr loads in my range bag in case a buddy is having trouble and wants me to shoot good ammo through his rifle.
    That was the "Mark hills" load in jest. But we didn't test accuracy. Next week.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Very much appreciate the report on these barrels as I am about to "pull the trigger" on one.

Curious as to what sort of accuracy potential you think it has and what type of sight(s) are you running on it.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    So they have 2 different barrels now. A rgp and a ergp barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    So they have 2 different barrels now. A rgp and a ergp barrel?
    Yes, The original RGP was meant for optimal suppressed use but could cycle un-suppresed if needed at the request of Peoria PD for worst case scenarios. We have now publically released a true suppressor only barrel. It may lock back with certain loads but by all means is not meant to EVER be run without a can,
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    Very much appreciate the report on these barrels as I am about to "pull the trigger" on one.

Curious as to what sort of accuracy potential you think it has and what type of sight(s) are you running on it.
    I would bet we could squeeze 1.5 MOA - 2 MOA. I have a red dot but will toss a 4x ACOG or maybe smoother optic to test accuracy. Accuracy is not the focus of 11.5 barrels, but we will check it out. I might also try some 50 yard accuracy as that is a more realistic range for SBR's.

PB

Feedback Score
    How do these gas port sizes (RGP & Extreme RGP) compare to the Colt FBI HRT heavy 11.5" barrels. I seem to recall the Colt barrels were approximately .070. Does that sound about right?

Also, do we know who provides the barrel blanks for Sionics? If the company considers it a trade secret I respect that.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    As many of you know, Sionics is now making a True suppressor ready barrel. Mark did a measurement of the port and it looks to be in the 062 range. I have two SBR's and ran them side by side. Both have A5 and LMT enhanced carriers. Both have Vltor monolithic uppers and AAC M4-2K cans. The first runs with the original 11.5 RGP barrel by Sionics, it runs very well and throws the brass slightly forward in the 2-2:30 range. A little hot as one would expect with the AAC can and all. Runs 100% flawless, no complaints.

Gun two with ERGP Sionics barrel and it ran as would be expected, a little smoother. Tossing brass in the 3-3:30 range and a bit softer. I was most impressed with this barrel. It is not supposed to run ammo without a can but we were able to run Blackhills and "Mark-hills" loads getting lock-back some of the time but not all the time. Also, the gun was cleaned and freshly greased. Which tells me this barrel is ported perfectly to run a can. I don't want a barrel that runs so soft it becomes unreliable at anytime under any condition. I was a bit worried it would shoot great at the expense of reliability, not going to be the case.

If you are going too run your SBR suppressed, and you want a 11.5 barrel, this is one great option. I honestly wished my other 11.5 was the newer barrel. I don't think I would call it Extreme RGP barrel, I would call it the perfect GP barrel. Its ideal not extreme.

We were busy running a new load of 178 ELD's for the LMT MWS, so we didn't give it as much time as we will next week, running more types of ammo and maybe some lowers without A5 and enhanced carriers. More data to follow, and any request let us know. Also, we will do some accuracy testing for shits and giggles. Even thought I think 2 to 3 MOA is fine for a 11.5 SBR, I always like better.

Again, more data to follow.

PB
    Thanks for the write-up PB. Were gonna definitely produce more of these.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    As many of you know, Sionics is now making a True suppressor ready barrel. Mark did a measurement of the port and it looks to be in the 062 range. I have two SBR's and ran them side by side. Both have A5 and LMT enhanced carriers.

PB

PB,

Are you running a standard LMT bolt or one of Sionics bolt completion kits in your LMT e-carriers?
    Thx

RTT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast