Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URG-I + Surefire 300SPS = Hollywood pew pew quiet

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

URG-I + Surefire 300SPS = Hollywood pew pew quiet

Not expecting it to be so quiet! Compared to several other 14.5, 16 and 20” rifles it was by far the quietest and I’m not sure I fully understand why. Using M193 and M855 was pew pew. I thought I was running subsonics for a minute…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Not expecting it to be so quiet! Compared to several other 14.5, 16 and 20” rifles it was by far the quietest and I’m not sure I fully understand why. Using M193 and M855 was pew pew. I thought I was running subsonics for a minute…
    Maybe quiet to the ear because it is overbore with less back pressure?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    They must have gas system tuned perfectly with the 300SPS. I will take a video next time side by side with a few others. I don’t have a db meter but it is very noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you have a smart phone, you can download a noise meter app. These apps are not very accurate but will give a rough measure of the noise level difference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Maybe quiet to the ear because it is overbore with less back pressure?
    Could be. There's no quieting the Supersonic Crack.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That is the big sticking point for rifle cans. They may be "more" quiet than without a can, but that sound barrier is an ugly beast to beat.

If I'm shooting out in the open I might use a can, but under a roof, trees, cliffs, or anything else, that noise gets pretty amplified. Hearing protection is still a must.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Shoot a video if you can, I would love to see what sort of differences you are hearing.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You’re absolutely right of course. But Surefire advertises that the 300 SPS is their quietest suppressor and was designed primarily for that purpose, so they must have changed some things around. I’m sure part of the reason it’s so quiet is because it’s longer than many of their other suppressors, but they keep their cards close to their vest when discussing their own technologies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Javon View Post
    You’re absolutely right of course. But Surefire advertises that the 300 SPS is their quietest suppressor and was designed primarily for that purpose, so they must have changed some things around. I’m sure part of the reason it’s so quiet is because it’s longer than many of their other suppressors, but they keep their cards close to their vest when discussing their own technologies.
    What? SureFire's been pretty open about how the 300 SPS is much quieter than the SOCOM, they use totally different baffle designs; the 300 SPS trades acoustic attenuation for backpressure.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    What? SureFire's been pretty open about how the 300 SPS is much quieter than the SOCOM, they use totally different baffle designs; the 300 SPS trades acoustic attenuation for backpressure.
    Did you read what I said? I said Surefire advertises that it’s their quietest suppressor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast